What is Kokum, what are are the benefits of using Kokum?
Kokum Soda is a naturally cooling Summer Beverage which has medicinal properties to cool the body, aid digestion and help prevent inflammation.
Garcinia indica, a plant in the mangosteen family, commonly known as kokum, is a fruit-bearing tree that has culinary, pharmaceutical, and industrial uses (Source – Wikipedia). The sun dried version is called Aamsul, Kokum or kokam. It is good for digestive health, prevents acidity and cools the body as well. A magical kitchen ingredient that’s also anti-inflammatory and stimulates appetite as well. Another magical ingredient for Summers is Saunf / Fennel Seeds, which is used to make this Sugarfree Saunf Sherbet
Where is Kokum used?
Mostly used in the dried form, kokum is used as a souring agent in cooking along the Western coast of India – Goan , Maharashtrian, Kerala, Konkani, Gujarati cuisines. Dried Kokum is soaked in water to extract the pulp and it lends itself to a purplish pink colour, similar to extracting tamarind extract from soaked tamarind pulp. Kokum is used in tempering in Dals, added Usal, to make Solkadhi, Futi Kadi and other summer coolers.
Importance of the ingredients used
- Kokum – Coolant, digestive, anti-inflammatory
- Jeera / Cumin – helps fight flatulence and aids digestion
- Jaggery – natural coolant, unrefined sugar, calcium rich
- Fresh Mint – helps fight acidity, bloating
How to make Kokum Soda or Kokum Fizz?
Usually, Kokum Syrup is used to prepare this. But I have shown the recipe from scratch which helps you control the sugar as well other ingredients that go into this. It pretty much needs barely 4-5 ingredients and you can make this anytime, for a party or use it as a Summer Cooler.
Other Summer Coolers you may like:
- Sugarfree Badam Kesar Cooler
- Amrud ka Panna | Guava Punch
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Sugarfree Lemon Iced Tea
- Classic Jal Jeera
- Sugarfree Java Plum Chia Smoothie
PIN FOR LATER
What natural cooling beverage do you like? Do let me know in the comments below..
Ingredients needed for Kokum Soda:
- Dried Kokum – 30 grams
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Sprite or any Soda – 200 ml
- Crushed Mint leaves – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch (about 1/8 tsp)
- Grated Jaggery – 3 tsp (To make this drink completely refined Sugar free, simply use a combo of jaggery / stevia / any other refined sugar substitute along and use CLUB SODA in place of Sprite)
How to make Kokum Soda
Refer the video embedded here to check out how to make this.
Kokum Jeera Soda | Kokum Fizz
- Wet Blender
- 30 grams Dried Kokum
- 2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 3 cup Water
- 200 ml Sprite Sub with Club Soda or Sparkling Water
- 1 tsp Fresh Mint leaves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tsp Grated Jaggery
Check out the Video Embedded below for the detailed procedure and instructions
- Use of Jaggery and Roasted Cumin powder are optional, but recommended.
- Jaggery is used in place of Sugar
- If using Club Soda, you may increase the sugar (jaggery / stevia / Refined sugar)
- If using ready made Kokum Syrup, skip all the sweeteners.
- Soak the dried kokum for at least 2 hours to get full extract.
- This beverage may be served as Futi Kadi (without soda) if preferred.
- To make this drink completely refined Sugar free, simply use a combo of jaggery / stevia / any other refined sugar substitute along and use CLUB SODA in place of Sprite.