Rice Rava (or Cracked Raw Rice) is used for various South Indian dishes - Idli / Arisi Upma / Pongal / Kozhukottai (Undrallu) etc. Here's is a quick way to make homemade Rice Rava that can be used for the purpose. I have taken normal white rice (not steamed / parboiled) for this purpose. However, the process is the same for any type of rice, only the soaking time varies according to the quality of the rice. This is a basic kitchen prep, and saves valuable time and money once you have this ingredient ready. Let's see how to make Rice Rava. I have not included step by step recipes as its quite simple.
Prep time : 1 hour (including soaking). Makes : Approx 500 gms of Rava.
Ingredient : Normal Rice - 3 cups (not long grained)
1) Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins.
2) Drain and spread the rice on a thin white muslin cloth / thin bath towel and let it air dry - takes about 30 - 45 mins depending on the outside temperature. Spread it under a fan if required.
3) While the rice is slightly wet (not completely dry) , take the rice in batches and grind in a mixer grinder to a coarse-fine consistency (it should be the same as Idli Rava consistency or Medium Sooji thickness) . Sieve it and collect the flour if any in a separate bowl.
4) Finish up the rice in batches and sieve for every batch.
5) Collect all the rice flour & the rava separately. Dry out the rava again in a large bowl for 10 - 15 mins before storing in an airtight container
6) Use as required. The remaining rice flour can be used for recipes separately.
March 10, 2012
Author: Kalyani | at:Saturday, March 10, 2012 | Category : Basics of cooking |