After yesterday’s Sindhi Sai Bhaji, the next one that caught my eye and fancy was Harini’s Bolivian Quinoa Stew . I have noticed over the past few years from Harini, that both of our family's cooking and eating preferences are similar, so I was very keen to select something from Harini’s blog.
Use of Quinoa was something that I was keen to use (both to clear the present stock in the pantry and also to make something new other than the Colombian Quinoa Mango Salad I had made earlier), and I was very happy that it was liked by my elder one also. Thanks Harini - this is definitely a keeper both for the ease and taste it imparted on a nice nippy evening :-))
She didn’t sense it had quinoa in it, and sipped it like a broth along with some warm bread for a weekend supper.
Sending this dish to BM 46 under bookmarked recipes (ABC world Marathon). Also to Vardhini's Dish It out - Soups and Salads Event
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | Serves : 2
Spice level : Medium
Difficulty level : Easy
Serving suggestions : Bread or as it is
- Quinoa – ¼ cup - soaked in warm water for 10 mins
- Garbanzo / chickpeas (cooked) –1 cup (I used kala channa)
- Veg Stock – homemade – ½ cup
- Onions – 1 large
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Water – 1 cup
- Veggies : I added carrots, beans, peas : 1 cup
- Bell pepper chopped – ½ cup
- Minced garlic and ginger – 1 tsp (i skipped the garlic)
- Oil – 1 TBSP
- Tomato puree / Pasta sauce – ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ TBSP (I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
- Jeera – Dhania powder – ½ tsp
- Cilantro – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- In a pressure cooker, add oil. Saute onions and bay leaf. Add grated ginger and garlic and sauté till onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomato puree, bell pepper, veggies and sauté with salt. Add the cooked garbanzo, red chilli powder, jeera –dhania powder, Quinoa, stock, water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure die down on its own.
- Simmer for 3-4 mins till you get desired consistency, add cilantro and serve immediately