This month for Breadbakers, Mayuri chose natural sweeteners (like maple syrup, honey, blackstrap molasses, dates, banana puree, coconut sugar, balsamic glaze, brown sugar syrup, real fruit jam made without any sugar, stevia, palm jaggery). I was very keen to participate in this coz as a family, we have been pretty successful in cutting down refined products (both refined flour and sugar) in most of the cooking / baking at home, while even going sugar free for our everyday coffee / tea / mock tails.
Natural sweeteners are such a delight to work with, and I was happy to use my batch of cranberries along with Coconut sugar that the husband so lovingly lugged back from NYC last month. It was the first ever bake with coconut sugar, and we loved the nuttiness that this sugar provided without adding guilt to the indulgence.
The quick bread keeps well on the countertop for 2-3 days (if it lasts that long!) but I am pretty sure it freezes well. So, make this for a quick snack or take it along for potlucks. Either way its a winner.
Prep time : 20mins, Bake time : 40-45 mins (varies from oven to oven); makes : ONE 9*5 pan loaf
Adapted from here
- Flour / APF – 1 cup
- Wholewheat flour – 3/4 cup
- Oats flour – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/6 tsp
- Coconut sugar – 2/3 cup
- Overripe banana – 2 medium ( I used 4 small)
- Neutral Oil – 1/3 cup
- Milk – 1/3 cup (can sub with almond / peanut milk for vegan version)
- Applesauce – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence / extract – 1 tsp
- Dried Cranberries – 1/3 cup
- Chocochips – 1/3 cup
- Grease and line a loaf pan (I used a nonstick 9*5 pan, but you could use a 8 1/2 * 4 1/2 for better results)
- Sift all the dry ingredients twice over in a large bowl.
- Beat the oil, mashed banana and coconut sugar in another bowl till the sugar is melted, fold in the milk, applesauce, vanilla essence and mix once.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently fold in along with the cranberries and chocochips (reserve a few chocochips for topping). Do not overbeat
- When there are no dry streaks of flour, pour into prepared loaf pan , top with remaining chocochips and bake for 40-45 mins till a toothpick comes clean from the centre of the pan.
- Rest in the pan for further 5-7 mins, then invert onto a wire rack.
- Slice when cool to required size
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Breads with Natural Sweeteners
- Autumn Harvest Bread with Grapes by The Bread She Bakes
- Banana Honey Crumble Bread by The Schizo Chef
- Banana Yeast Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Blackberry Honey Bread by Kidsandchic
- Cheddar Honey Flowers by Ambrosia
- Date and Chai Muffins by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Date Sweetened Banana Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Eggless Banana Bread with Cranberries and Coconut Sugar by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Egg Free Carrot Coconut Bread by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Eggless Wholewheat Maple Banana Oat Muffins by Spill the Spices
- Einkorn Drop Biscuits with Peaches by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- English Granary Style No Knead Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Healthy Banana Bread by From Gate to Plate
- Honey Almond Banana Muffins by Bakingyummies
- Honey Cider Quick Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Cornbread by Magnolia Days
- Honey Oat Pain de Mie by Hostess At Heart
- Honey Pineapple Pull-Apart Rolls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Honey Rolls by La cocina de Aisha
- Jackfruit Semolina Muffins by My Cooking Journey
- Mangalore Buns by Sneha’s Recipe
- Maple Bacon Cheddar & Pickle Pull-Apart Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Maple Pecan Scones by Cook’s Hideout
- Maple Oatmeal Bread by A Baker’s House
- Natural Banana & Blueberry Bread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Pain au Levian avec Banane by What Smells So Good?
- Tangerine Honey White Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.