Apple cinnamon muffins – how better can it get ?
- sugar free
- Kid friendly
- Sinfully tasty and healthy too
- A great Grab on the go snack !
Yes this was something that the little chef and me baked together in the kitchen. She knows that once I promise to bake something, it’s mostly muffins. Although she would loveeeee an icing topped cupcake someday (& she reads a lot of cookbooks luxuriantly sprinkled with coloured and vibrant cupcakes of all hues), she knows that most of the times she actually enjoys a simple muffin .
As she was part of a summer camp, she wanted to bake for all her friends – all by herself.
So the muffins aren’t exactly bakery looking, but trust me the kids and her friends enjoyed the sugar free treat. I have adapted the bake from a fellow blogger’s recipe and it made 10 muffins.
Preeti – our host for week #190 @foodiemondaybloghop suggested #minibakes for this week’s theme. So, this is an entry for the same.
Prep time – 15 Mins, bake time – 20 to 22 mins , makes – 10 medium sized muffins
What you need:
- Wholewheat flour – 1 cup
- Baking Soda – 1.5 tsp
- Maida / All purpose – 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 TBSP
- Nutmeg – 1/4 heaped tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Raisins ( I used golden) – 1/3 cup
- Red apple (I used Himachali variety) – 1 large (grated)
- Egg replacer (for 2 eggs)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Dry coconut flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil – 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 C , line the muffin pans
- In a bowl, sift all dry ingredients
- In another bowl, whisk the egg replacer , oil, essence, grated apple and raisins. Once its all mixed well, add the coconut and fold well.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix slowly. The batter is very very thick ! do not overmix
- With an ice cream scoop, scoop equal quantities into the muffin moulds (my little one did all this by herself so we got really unequal portions with uneven tops).
- Bake for 20~22 mins or until a skewer/ tooth pick comes clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before consuming / storing.