What is Sundal Podi
Sundal Podi is a ubiquitous spice powder mix used to season Sundal (or legume Stir fry). It can also be used in vegetable stir fries as an aromatic seasoning.
Easy peasy , lemon squeezy recipe – You can make this ahead of the Navratri Season and use it to make quick Sundals everyday.
Every South Indian Household offers a mix of flavoured rice, a kheer (payasam) and Sundal during the 9 days of Devi Pooja during Navaratri. For a detailed description of the dishes you can offer across all categories, click here.
9 varieties Sundals (steamed based lentil snack – vegan & gluten free):
(from top left top row to bottom right last row, links as follows):
- Kadalai Paruppu Sundal ~ Kadalebele Usli
- Konda Kadalai Sundal ~ Black Channa Sundal
- Masoor Dal Sundal | Whole Red Lentil Salad
- Payiru Sundal ~ Green gram steamed stir fry ~ Moong Dal Sundal
- Avarekaalu Usli | Hyacinth bean Salad
- Battani Sundal | Fresh Peas Sundal
- Kabuli Channa Sundal
- Sprouts Sundal
- Fresh Rajma Sundal
No Onion No garlic is followed right through Mahalaya Paksha (a.k.a Pitru Paksh) or the Holy Fortnight where ancestors and departed souls are fed food by their children / successors. If you are looking for more No Onion, No garlic dishes across Main Course / Breakfast / Snack categories, click here.
Let’s get to making the Sundal Podi now.
Prep time – 5 mins , Cook time – 10 mins, Makes – Approx 50~75 grams of the podi.
Use about 1-2 TBSP per 200 g of cooked lentil (or as desired)
PIN ME NOW !!
What you need to make Navratri Sundal Podi
- 3 TBSP Bengal gram (Channa dal)
- 50 grams Coriander seeds (Dhania)
- 5 Dry Red chillies (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing – skip for GF)
- 1/2 tsp oil (opt.)
How to make Navratri Sundal Podi
How to make and use Sundal Podi
- Assemble all the ingredients for the recipe from the list given above.
- Follow the video for the detailed instructions along with tips and tricks on how to make this.
- Head to the video embedded here for the method.
- Refer the Video below for a detailed recipe and step by step instructions. If you are visiting our channel for the first time, please don’t forget to hit like 👍 and subscribe to our channel ❤️. We appreciate your love and would eagerly wait to hear from from you on how we can bring your favourite dishes to our channel too ! Thanks a ton 💕💕
Navaratri Sundal Podi + how to make Karamani Sundal using Sundal Podi
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 TBSP Bengal gram Channa dal
- 50 grams Coriander seeds Dhania
- 5 Dry Red chillies or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Hing – skip for GF
- 1/2 tsp oil opt.
Sundal podi is so versatile and it is almost a staple in my pantry all round the year . Love to use it for vazhakkai stir fry and also my fav aloo roast .
very true. sundal podi is indeed versatile
I guess every house with bommaigolu has a version of sundal of the day and sundal podis too with slight changes due to the measurements. I love the colour of your sundal podi.
yes this is a very handy podi in most tamil households
I did not know there was something called sundal podi. This explains why my sundal taste so different from my friends. Thanks kalyani will make some.
This sundal podi is so versatile and handy . Love this easy recipe Kalyani. A must have in many South Indian households. Lovely compilation of Sundal recipes.
thnx preethi ! yes its quite common in Tambrahm households to have this handy podi