What is Sundal Podi
Sundal Podi is a ubiquitous spice powder mix used to season Sundal (or legume Stir fry). It can also be used in vegetable stir fries as an aromatic seasoning.
Easy peasy , lemon squeezy recipe – You can make this ahead of the Navratri Season and use it to make quick Sundals everyday.
Every South Indian Household offers a mix of flavoured rice, a kheer (payasam) and Sundal during the 9 days of Devi Pooja during Navaratri. For a detailed description of the dishes you can offer across all categories, click here.
9 varieties Sundals (steamed based lentil snack – vegan & gluten free):
(from top left top row to bottom right last row, links as follows):
- Kadalai Paruppu Sundal ~ Kadalebele Usli
- Konda Kadalai Sundal ~ Black Channa Sundal
- Masoor Dal Sundal | Whole Red Lentil Salad
- Payiru Sundal ~ Green gram steamed stir fry ~ Moong Dal Sundal
- Avarekaalu Usli | Hyacinth bean Salad
- Battani Sundal | Fresh Peas Sundal
- Kabuli Channa Sundal
- Sprouts Sundal
- Fresh Rajma Sundal
No Onion No garlic is followed right through Mahalaya Paksha (a.k.a Pitru Paksh) or the Holy Fortnight where ancestors and departed souls are fed food by their children / successors. If you are looking for more No Onion, No garlic dishes across Main Course / Breakfast / Snack categories, click here.
Let’s get to making the Sundal Podi now.
Prep time – 5 mins , Cook time – 10 mins, Makes – Approx 50~75 grams of the podi.
Use about 1-2 TBSP per 200 g of cooked lentil (or as desired)
PIN ME NOW !!
What you need to make Navratri Sundal Podi
- 3 TBSP Bengal gram (Channa dal)
- 50 grams Coriander seeds (Dhania)
- 5 Dry Red chillies (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing – skip for GF)
- 1/2 tsp oil (opt.)
How to make Navratri Sundal Podi
How to make and use Sundal Podi
Refer the Video below for a detailed recipe and step by step instructions. If you are visiting our channel for the first time, please don’t forget to hit like 👍 and subscribe to our channel ❤️. We appreciate your love and would eagerly wait to hear from from you on how we can bring your favourite dishes to our channel too ! Thanks a ton 💕💕
Navaratri Sundal Podi + how to make Karamani Sundal using Sundal Podi
- Pressure Cooker
- 3 TBSP Bengal gram Channa dal
- 50 grams Coriander seeds Dhania
- 5 Dry Red chillies or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Hing – skip for GF
- 1/2 tsp oil opt.