It had been a while since I baked a sweet bread for the girls, and right there in my inbox were flooding “recipes for Fall”.
Now where I live, its possibly the hottest month of the year (with Oct temp reaching as high as 42-44 deg C).
But the bread was beckoning, and I had to make this yummy bread with brown butter and butternut squash (I divided the batter so we had two small cute loaves (which are actually easier to store) )
Be it as it may, just when I had decided to make these, I had run out of flour !! What was I thinking , you wonder :) Well I discovered a great substitute for both the butter (which was there, but in teeny weeny quantities) and the all purpose flour (which I personally prefer to substitute with wholewheat in most recipes).
Plus we had homemade pureed Pumpkin ,so that was a great replacement for the eggs as well.
So, there you are : Browned Butter Semolina Pumpkin Bread (or cake if you wish!)
Light. Airy, Filling. And relished by the girls and the husband. Fall or no Fall, this is one recipe I shall keep making :)
Sending this over to Bread Bakers Challenge -Oct hosted by Wendy.
Adapted slightly from Here
Prep time : 15 mins . Baking time : 25-27 mins (varies from oven to oven).
Makes 1 large (about 350 gram loaf) or 2 mini loaves (around 150 / 175 gms each)
You would need:
- Wholewheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Semolina (fine) – ½ cup
- Pureed Butternut squash / Pumpkin Puree – ½ cup
- Butter – 3 TBSP
- Oil – 1/3 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- All spice – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Candied fruits – a handful (optional)
- Yoghurt – ½ cup
- Powdered brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Sieve the flour, semolina, baking soda, cinnamon powder, all spice, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and slightly burn it. When its almost burnt, turn off the stove, add in the pumpkin puree and sauté it well . Keep Closed for 5-6 mins till the burnt butter is infused in the pumpkin puree..
- Now mix in oil, yoghurt, powdered sugar, floured nuts into the pumpkin puree. Mix well and now slowly fold in the sieved flour- semolina mixture.
- Mix slightly (due to semolina you would have a rather thickish mixture) and pour into prepared bake tins / loaf pans.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 175 C for 25-30 mins (tent them towards the end of bake time to prevent burning)
- Cool, demould, Cut and serve :) ...
- I substituted the APF completely with wholewheat flour and semolina . But you may use APF all through
- Candied fruits are optional although it gave a mild sweet touch
- Apple Crumb Quick Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Raisin Bread from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Browned Butter Butternut Squash Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Buttermilk Wheat Bread from Magnolia Days
- Eggless Apple Sage Cheddar Scones from Spill the Spices
- Fall Harvest Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fig Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Harvest Grains Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Mr. Potato Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Multigrain Bread With Seeds from Sneha's Recipe
- Pumpkin and Apple Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Bread Bowls from La cocina de Aisha
- Pumpkin Bread Dinner Rolls from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls from SpiceRoots
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls from Bread Therapy
- Pumpkin Hand Pie from CookingClub
- Pumpkin, Poppy & Papaya Seeded Breadsticks from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Pumpkin Raisin Bagels from Cook's Hideout
- Pumpkin Saffron Yeast Biscuits from The Schizo Chef
- Pumpkin Scones from A Baker's House
- Red Grape, Olive & Goat Cheese Schiacciata (Tuscan Focaccia) from Ruchik Randhap
- Sesame Seeded Semolina Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Spicy Pumpkin Yeast Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.