As the readers of this blog would know by now, we are huge fans of soup. While we have our personal favourites, we also love to experiment quite a bit when it comes to soups. What better time to taste a new soup than an indulgent chilly weekend, right ? This Thai inspired Coconut Noodle soup filled with veggies was a hit at home considering we are not fans of coconut milk at all. I used the light coconut milk (2nd extract) for this soup, but if you like you could use a mix of 1st and 2nd extract or even blend coconut cream + 2nd extract to make this soup.
The place where we live doesn’t have any defined “Winter” weather but we enjoy the slight dip in the mercury running from Mid-Nov to mid-jan . If you are a soup lover like us, why don’t you try the Vegan + GF yet creamy Broccoli Almond Soup
Click here for 21 varieties of easy, flavourful soups you can make at home with basic pantry essentials
Warming spices / aromatics like Ginger and Crushed Black pepper add to the oomph of this broth. This can be had as a soup or a whole meal by itself. I have used my homemade veg stock to add heaps of flavour into this , but you can use plain filtered water too. Addition of noodles is optional, but as we had this as a complete meal WITH some veg momos, noodles added a lot of meatiness to make the entire meal hearty and healthy. Let’s get to the recipe now.
PIN FOR LATER
Thai Coconut Noodle Soup – Vegan and Gluten Free
Prep time – 20 mins, Cook time – 20 mins, Serves – 3 generously
What you need:
- Homemade Veg Stock – 300 ml
- Thin Coconut Milk – 150 ml
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Mixed veggies – 100 grams (I used 50 grams Zucchini, 4 tbsp Coloured Peppers, minced french beans 1 tsp , 1/2 peeled Potato)
- Mixed herbs – 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1 no (skip if your broth has this already, like mine did)
- Garlic – 1 TBSP (finely minced)
- Shallots – 2 TBSP (optional)
- Ginger grated – 1 TBSP
- Crushed Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste (adjust accordingly if the stock has salt already)
- Cooked Noodles – 100 grams ( I used GF Rice Noodles)
- Cherry tomatoes – 6 to 8 (split use)
PIN THIS 21 soup link collection for your ready reference.
- Cook Noodles as per packet instructions, drain and reserve with a dash of olive oil.
- In a pressure pan / soup pot, add olive oil. Saute garlic, ginger, shallots and bay leaf with a pinch of salt. add half of the halved cherry tomatoes, let them blister a bit. Now add in the mixed veggies and saute them well. Add the veg stock / Veg broth, crushed pepper and pressure cook for 1 whistle (or cook till the veggies are slightly softened , yet have a bite, if using an open pot).
- Once the pressure dies down, add the chilli flakes and remaining cherry tomatoes. Adjust salt and spice and add the cooked and drained noodles. Let it simmer for 3-4 min. Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for 1 more min.
- Switch off the flame and serve it hot.