We are in love with Focaccia. After this Onion and Tomato version, I keep getting requests for this bread again and again from the family .
It goes pretty much as a snack, with a warm bowl of soup and even keeps well for 3-4 days when you can eat it with a bowl of salad for lunch. And that’s exactly what I did : made a sunday brunch along with Apple-Broccoli Garden Salad and Sauteed Summer veggies like Zucchini, Squash and Bell peppers.
And then I got this lovely produce from my small green patch on the balcony. Surprisingly, the tomato plant had been there since 5-6 months without a lot of flowers / veggies.
But come summer I had this wonderful basket of tomatoes that ripened. I used some of them as is and dried some of them to make this wonderful bread.
|Summer crop from my garden – I was very pleased :)))|
And this makes its way to #BreadBakers – a group of bakers I have recently joined. This Month’s theme is breads with summer produce – hosted by Pavani. And what better way to use the sun dried tomatoes – just a handful of that, and the rustic bread never looked better. Thank you, Stacy for this group. It sure is fun to join you all :-))
So, lets get to the recipe:
Prep time : 30 mins , standing + baking time : 2 hrs + 30 mins. Serves : 4
- Stoneground Wholewheat Bread flour – 2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1 TBSP
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 TBSP
- Olive Oil – 6 TBSP (divided use)
- Warm water – 2/3 cup
- Sun dried tomato – a big handful
(B) Sauteed Veggies:
- Sliced veggies – Zucchini, Bell peppers, Onions – 1 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
(C) Garden Salad with Brocolli ,Apple and Cabbage – recipe here.
(A) Focaccia :
- Proof yeast with warm water and sugar. Once done, add half the oil and salt and whisk well, now add flour in batches. Mix and knead till you get a smooth and elastic dough – about 12-15 mins.
- Place covered in a greased bowl till it doubles. Once it doubles, punch it down gently. Knead for few mins, and pinch out a sizeable portion of the dough (or the whole dough if you want a bigger bread) and roll into a rectangle or a square (I used my silpat baking mat so rolled it like a rectangle).
- Cover and let it rise.
- Towards the end of the second rise, soak the sundried tomatoes in hot water and squeeze them, Chop them if you like, but I used them whole.
- Make small dimples on the rolled out bread, add few drops of olive oil into each dimple and place these sun dried tomatoes all over and press them gently into
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 mins till golden brown and slightly crispy.
(B) While the bread is baked, saute the sliced veggies in a dash of warm oil over a medium grill (or pan). Season with salt and pepper and keep aside. Similarly prep the salad too.
Serve hot with bread on the side. Any leftover focaccia can be warmed up next day and served with soup or served as a snack
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].
Breads using Summer Bounty:
- Almond and Carrot Biscuits from Basic N Delicious
- Cheddar Mielie Bread with Sun-Dried Tomatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Bread Pudding from Bakers and Best
- Eggless Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Garden Herb Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Herb and Cheese Biscuits from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Herb and Cheese Grissini from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Butterflaps from Sneha’s Recipe
- Herbs, Spinach and Cheese Bourekas from Cooking Club
- Jalapeño Summer Squash Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Mango Kolache from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Peach & Blueberry Meringue Pull Apart Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Peach Pull-Apart Breadfrom Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peaches and Cream Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pizza Cipolla – Onion Pizza from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rosemary and Garlic Fougasse from Spice Roots
- Rosemary Breadsticks from A Baker’s House
- Spinach Semolina Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Studded Zucchini Yeast Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Sundried Tomato Focaccia with Sauteed Summer Veggies & Garden Salad from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Tomato, Onion, Parmesan Focaccia from Noshing With The Nolands
- Walnut Oat Crumble Courgette Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Wholewheat Onion, Spinach & Red Pepper Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Wholewheat Zucchini Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Zucchini Oatmeal Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
- Zucchini/Jalapeño/Cheese Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm