Khichdi. Kichadi : make no mistake – these are two different dishes, made entirely in different ways, although I am presuming one has influenced the other – with a grain base (and sometimes lentil added), and veggies for the crunch and nutrition
Nevertheless, Rava Kichadi in Tamil cuisine means a simple upma with some unique spices and veggies. For us at home, we have ALWAYS been adding veggies in the everyday Upma and even for Avarekaalu Akki Thari Uppittu (Field Beans Upma with Broken Rice) we use Field beans / Avarekaalu.
And then we have Rava Vangibhath (Upma with Vangibhath powder with or without veggies) or even the Kharabhath. So, for me personally I had to make this with Bansi Rava (broken wheat rava – fine quality) and present it specially for the BM. This dish can be served for Breakfast or Tiffin (evening), but I have seen my aunt make this or even Godhuma Rava Thakkali Upmafor their evening dinner too, when they want to skip eating rice or rotis at night.
Prep time – 15 mins, Cook time – 10 mins, serves – 2
- Bansi Rava (fine Durum wheat rava) – 1 cup
- Ghee / Oil – 3 TBSP (skip ghee for vegan)
- Chopped veggies – 1 cup (generally carrots + beans + peas are used)
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp (opt.)
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Tempering : Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Urad dal 1/2 tsp, curry leaves, Chopped green chillies (2), Broken red chillies – 2
- Onion – 1 medium (opt.)
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Chopped coriander leaves & lemon juice – for garnish
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp grated
PIN FOR LATER
- Dry roast Rava for 2 mins till aromatic, keep aside. Steam chopped veggies (except onions and tomatoes) either in microwave or steamer till 80% done
- In the same pan, add oil, make the tempering. Now add the cinnamon, grated ginger, turmeric, onion and tomatoes. Saute till onions are translucent and tomatoes are slightly mushy. Add 2 cups of water and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Now add the roasted rava and gently mix till there are no lumps.
- Cook and cover till rava is done. Gently mix, finish with lemon juice and coriander and serve hot.
- It tastes as it is. I served it with Coconut chutney.