Qabooli Veg Biryani is a protein rich Biryani made with chickpeas and flavourful basmati rice. Serve it with Raita / salad on the side
Qabooli Biryani is a rich, inviting dish that makes parties or potlucks more inviting.. I have posted 2 pulav varieties with Chickpeas (Kabuli Channa / Garbanzo beans) : Achari Channa Methi Pulao, Kabuli Channa Pulao. This dish can be made entirely with rice and chickpeas, but I chose to add veggies as well
This biryani is a layered one and was part of a Sunday brunch (when I cook slightly elaborate meals that the whole family enjoys). Personally, I would have added a Roti / bread as well to this Thali, but it was too hot to stand and make them. Next time perhaps.
If you are a fan of Biryani, why not check out Instant Pot Veg Biryani
Do make this at home and let me know what is usually part of your Sunday brunch / lunch.
Prep time – 20 mins, Cook time – 30 to 45 mins, Serves – 4 generously
Qabooli Biryani (GF, can be vegan)
Main course, Indian
Spice level – medium to high
- Long grain basmati rice – 1 cup (240 ml)
- Cooked Chickpeas – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee / Oil – 3 TBSP (divided use)~ (skip ghee for vegan)
- Whole spices – black cardamom 2, green cardamom 2, cloves 4, Bay leaf 2-3, black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Vegetables – 1 cup ( I used french beans, Potato and carrots)
- Yoghurt – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Spice powders – Garam Masala 2 tsp, Coriander powder 1 TBSP
PIN FOR LATER
- Onions – 1 large
- Green chillies – 3 to 4
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 to 4 pods
- Saffron strands (few) – soaked in 4 TBSP milk
- Mint leaves – 1 handful
- Fried Onions
- Wash and drain rice several times till most of the starch is washed away and soak it in clear water for 20-25 mins. Drain and cook with a pinch of salt, 1 tsp oil, whole spices till 70% done. Fluff with a fork and keep aside.
- Make a paste of all the masala ingredients and keep aside.
How to make:
- In a thick bottomed pan / Kadai, add rest of the ghee / oil.
- Add the sliced onions, masala paste and sautè for 6-7 mins till oil separates. Now add the spice powders and yoghurt and mix well till the tomatoes soften, add the chickpeas now. and mix gently.
- Remove 2/3 of this filling and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add 1/3 of the partially cooked rice evenly over the chickpeas masala paste. top with a third of the saffron milk and a few mint leaves.
- Repeat this layer twice over. Sprinkle a few tsp of water, cover and cook till rice is done fully but not mushy.
- Serve with salad, papad, raita for a filling meal.
Rice , veggies and channa will be a full pack for biryani..a perfect treat it is!!
What a wholesome Biryani ! I have never used chickpeas in qubooli , but definitely a good variation . With all those veggies it makes it healthier .
The Biryani looks very well made Kalyani .
I have tried this qabooli version before. Your whole set up including qabooli along with boondi raita and salad looks pretty inviting. I bet that sunday meal was a delicious one.
Good pick, Kalyani. I have tried this version before and loved it. Would love to remind myself yet again with that bowl of boondi raita.
That is indeed apt for celebration. The biryani looks wonderful. Today I have read so many qabooli biryani recipes and I love the fact that every recipe is unique.
Chickpea pulao looks too good with colorful boondi raita on the side.
Love this version of yours and with that boondi raita, oh man its oh so delicious only. I made qubooli biryani as well. I think its the star of the day.
This is a nice version, using chickpeas is surely a filling one! The texture looks amazing.
Proteins and carbs loaded in one dish. A healthy and a filling meal for sure.
A wholesome and filling one pot meal.The spread with boondi raita and cucumber seems like a feast in itself.