Kempakki Dosa. Kempakki in Kannada (South Indian Language) means Red Rice. Dosa refers to all South Indian Crepes.
Kempakki dosa a.k.a Red Rice Dosa brings back a lot of memories of Grandmom’s kitchen. Growing up in grandma’s kitchen, it was a childhood filled with aromas and textures. On any given day, Grandmom would assign us chores – from simple stirring the various gravies to grating to coconut to chopping veggies – we had to do it to learn it. Grandmom’s way of teaching us was like, love dipped discipline. The warmth of those aromas and the various magical dishes that came out of that ill-lit kitchen for family and friends 24 x7 never ceased to amaze us .
When we came back from school, Dosa (lentil / GF crepes) used to await us most evenings for a quick snack. This Kempakki Dosa (Red Rice Dosa) was one of the finest ever that I have got to savour from her kitchen. Paired with a simple chutney or even a pickle, it was one of finest snacks one could savour. If you love dosas like us, why not try this No-rice Kodo Millet dosa (Varagu Arisi Dosa)
Other Dosa varieties you would like on the blog !
Let’s get cracking.
Benefits of Red Rice / Rajamudi Rice over white rice
- High Fibre
- Low GI
- Suitable for Diabetics too (under medical / dietary supervision)
FAQs to make the perfect Kempakki Dosa
- Can I sub the Red Rice with any other rice ? Yes, any wholegrain, short grained rice will give the texture. White Rice / Polished rice / Basamati Rice is not recommended.
- Why is the Dosa not crispy? Follow the recipe (proportions) of Urad dal + Rice to get perfect results. Also keep the skillet medium – moderately hot to get crispy dosa.
- My batter has not fermented – Can I still make the dosa? Fermentation of batter is highly recommended to absorb the nutrients better. Fermentation time might vary from region to region based on outside temperature. If the batter is still not fermented after 8-10 hours, see if it helps keeping it in an oven with the light on (and the heating turned off)
- Can I use whole Urad dal / Black Urad dal in place of white Polished dal? Most certainly yes, the higher the unpolished grains, the batter.
- What can I serve this with? This Dosa goes well with Chutney or sambhar. We particularly love it with another special curry from Karnataka cuisine – Heerekayi Huli THovve (ridge gourd no onion no garlic tangy spicy curry)
For More Gluten Free & Vegan Dosa varieties, head here.
PIN FOR LATER
Prep time – 15 mins, Soak + Grind Time – 8 hours
Fermentation time – 8 hours (or overnight)
Makes – 25 Crepes
What you need:
- 2 cups Red Rice (Aka Rajamudi Rice)
- 1/2 cup Flattened Rice (aka Poha/ Avalakki)
- 1 TBSP Fenugreek seeds (Methi Seeds)
- 1/2 cup Split Black Gram (Urad Dal)
Refer the video embedded below to know the detailed steps. If you are visiting the channel for the first time, take a moment to like, share and subscribe to the channel. ❤️ Do leave any comments below and/or on the channel on how you liked it or what changes you would like to make for you / your family
Kempakki Dosa~Rajamudi Dosa~Red Rice Dosa
- 2 cups Red Rice Aka Rajamudi Rice
- 1/2 cup Flattened Rice aka Poha/ Avalakki
- 1 TBSP Fenugreek seeds Methi Seeds
- 1/2 cup Split Black Gram Urad Dal