Keerai Vada or Masala Keerai Vada is something I have noticed recently in Tamilnadu hotels for the evening snack. I had this in 2013 when we stayed in Chennai for a few days for a family function. It tasted like the normal Urad Dal vada (aka Ulundhu Vada / Uddina Vade) available in Bangalore, but something was refreshingly different. A cousin of my husband told me the recipe that she followed, and I liked this version a lot. This can also be made with the Instant Homemade Vada Mix and that too turns out fab!
It was lighter owing to different mixture of dals, and the addition of certain keerai varieties (greens) & spices. Read on to read this version. Served piping hot with a pungent Coriander chutney and a cup of coffee, this makes for a perfect tea time snack.
Keerai Vada (Greens based deep fried lentil doughnuts) – Vegan & Gluten Free
Cuisine : Tamil, Course : Snack
Prep time : 20 mins + soak time : 1 hour
Frying time / cook time : 15 mins
Makes : Approx 6-8 vadas (medium sized)
- Urad Dal / Split black gram – 1/2 cup
- Yellow Moong Dal / Split Green gram – 2 TBSP
- Rice flour – 1 TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Crushed Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder / Chukku podi / Saunth powder- 1/4 tsp
- Drumstick leaves – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Ginger grated – 1/2 tsp
- Onions – 1/2 medium (chopped fine) – opt.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp (chopped fine)
- Green chillies – 2 nos (opt.)
- Oil – to deep fry
- Wash and soak both the lentils in hot water for 1 hour. Drain and grind them very smooth adding very little water into a very fluffy batter.
- Add salt, rice powder and all ingredients. Keep aside for 2 mins.
- Mix well with your hand and make small vadas on a greased plastic sheet or wet palms
- Fry till golden brown on a low-medium heat.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tangy Coriander Chutney