Keerai Vada or Masala Keerai Vada is something I have noticed recently in Tamilnadu hotels for the evening snack. I had this in 2013 when we stayed in Chennai for a few days for a family function. It tasted like the normal Urad Dal vada (aka Ulundhu Vada / Uddina Vade) available in Bangalore, but something was refreshingly different. A cousin of my husband told me the recipe that she followed, and I liked this version a lot.
It was lighter owing to different mixture of dals, and the addition of certain keerai varieties (greens) & spices. Read on to read this version. Served piping hot with a pungent Coriander chutney and a cup of coffee, this makes for a perfect tea time snack.
Keerai Vada (Greens based deep fried lentil doughnuts) – Vegan & Gluten Free
Cuisine : Tamil, Course : Snack
Prep time : 20 mins + soak time : 1 hour
Frying time / cook time : 15 mins
Makes : Approx 6-8 vadas (medium sized)
- Urad Dal / Split black gram – 1/2 cup
- Yellow Moong Dal / Split Green gram – 2 TBSP
- Rice flour – 1 TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Crushed Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder / Chukku podi / Saunth powder- 1/4 tsp
- Drumstick leaves – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Ginger grated – 1/2 tsp
- Onions – 1/2 medium (chopped fine) – opt.
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp (chopped fine)
- Green chillies – 2 nos (opt.)
- Oil – to deep fry
- Wash and soak both the lentils in hot water for 1 hour. Drain and grind them very smooth adding very little water into a very fluffy batter.
- Add salt, rice powder and all ingredients. Keep aside for 2 mins.
- Mix well with your hand and make small vadas on a greased plastic sheet or wet palms
- Fry till golden brown on a low-medium heat.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tangy Coriander Chutney