Frankly, this was my first shot at using Feta Cheese, especially in a sandwich. I was quite apprehensive on how it would turn out , but it did, fantastically at that !! Loved the salty cheesy combo with freshly grated carrots, and I must say it was quite a sellout even with mom who detests bread of any kind ! Am quite confident about using this cheese, and although I am still looking for stores that sell tortillas around where I live, with which I could use some more feta.
I guess this with added spinach can be served baked / stove top with chapatis as a roll too .. ummm… that’s an interesting lunch box snack. Having chosen Combo meals for Blogging Marathon , I served this with Mango-Pepper Salad for Day 1 of the Blogging Marathon.
Check out the Other Marathonershere
Takes under 20 minutes to prepare and assemble, and although you can serve this as a plain sandwich, I personally prefer the Grilled version of any sandwich. I have used just 1 tsp butter along with 1/2 tsp of oil (to toss the veggies), and guess you could make the filling on a pervious day for hassled morning breakfast/ lunchbox options.
Prep time: 10 mins. Grill time : 10 mins. Serves : 2
- Brown bread – 4 slices.
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Grated / crumbled Feta cheese – 1/2 cup
- Grated carrots – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies – 1 or 2 (opt)
- Red chilli pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Onions – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (grated)
- Cumin and coriander powder – 1/2 tsp each
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato Ketchup – 1/2 tsp (opt)
- Green coriander leaves – few for garnish
1) In a non stick pan, add 1 tsp of oil. Fry onions, grated carrots well. Add turmeric, spice powders, salt, ginger, chilles and saute well.
2) When they come together nicely, add the cheese and lower the heat. Let the cheese melt a little and amalgamate into the veggie mixture.
3) Now add the ketchup and green coriander leaves and toss well. Cool
4) Trim the bread slices (opt, although my kid loves it this way) and spoon in the filling. Spread. Cover with another slice. Make 3 -4 such batches.
5) Preheat your grill / electric sandwich maker for 3 -4 mins. Grill this sandwich in batches and serve hot with ketchup / green chutney or any salad too.
Mango – Pepper Salad Combo
- Ripe Mangoes – 1 cup
- Green, Red, Yellow Peppers – diced large – 1 cup
- Pineapple cubed (fresh) – 1/4 cup
- Water melon – 1/2 cup
- Steamed American Corn – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 TBSP
- Purple Cabbage shreds – 1/4 cup
- Deseeded and Diced Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- White pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Dried herbs (Oregano / chilli flakes / Basil / Thyme) – 1 tsp mixed
1) Mix all the veggies and fruits in a large bowl.
2) Warm Olive oil and turn off the stove. Add the herbs, salt, white pepper and lemon juice into this and mix well for salad dressing.
3) Chill the veggie-fruits well and pour this dressing over it and serve with the above sandwich for a wholesome meal.