Sometimes, there comes along a recipe which you want to make, but due to some mental hangups you dont make them : be it for health, family preferences, low calorie, egg based etc. Cookies n biscuits fall into that category : I love gorging virtually on these goodies, but perhaps (read almost) due to the high butter and refined flour I usually give these recipes a skip.
Till I started clearing my bookmarks for the baking marathon and saw Aarti's recipe. Not only is it eggless, it also was wholewheat and no butter. Guess I couldnt wait any longer... Made some minor changes, and it was a super hit. Generally, sweet bakes are not preferred at home, but these were very well received. Thank you, Aarti. I am sure I shall keep making this.
Sending this to all the action at Baking Marathon - Fire up your oven. We are on Day 6 today and hope you are enjoying the series till now...
Day 2: Veg Au Gratin
Day 3: Baked Onion Crackers
Day 5 : Grilled Kabab Platter
Baking Marathon Day 6 : Eggless Wholewheat Custard Powder Coconut Cookies
Recipe Source : Aarti's recipe
Recipe type : Cookies
Cuisine : American
Makes : 15 medium sized cookies
Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time : 12-14 mins (varies from oven to oven)
#Cookies #Eggless #Wholewheat #Butterless #Snacks #Vegan
What you need:
- Wholewheat flour – 1.25 cups
- Custard Powder – 3 TBSP (about ¼ cup)
- Oil (I used canola) – 1/3 cup
- Dessicated Coconut – 3 TBSP
- Vanilla Essence – ½ TBSP
- Sugar – ½ cup (I used about 1/3 cup of powdered brown sugar)
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – about ¾ tsp
- Milk – needed for binding (I didn’t use)
- Sieve the dry ingredients : Wholewheat flour, custard powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder. To this add dessicated coconut and mix well.
- Add the powdered brown sugar (I used brown sugar cubes and powdered). Now add the oil and vanilla essence and bring it to a smooth dough (don’t knead)
- If its too try, add a tbsp of milk, and bind it (I didn’t use milk). Preheat the oven to 165 deg C . Rest the dough for 5 mins, covered.
- Make small roundels of the dough and flatten it with fork, place on lined baking tray. Use the rest of the dough to get similar cookies.
- Bake for 12-15 mins (mine was done at 14 mins) or when they start to crinkle and done at the edges.
- They will remain slightly soft when taken out and harden within 10 mins on a cooling rack.
- Store in a airtight container once completely cooled and serve with milk.