After the chocolate overdose in yesterday’s Triple Chocolate Cupcakes, I needed something I could bite into 🙂 So, one of my fav combos – Orange and chocolate (actually my best ever is Ginger OR chilli with chocolate), and this is a great healthy breakfast option.
No refined sugar or flour. Just plain everyday pantry essentials and you have a sumptuous muffin for snack or breakfast time. I am waiting for the summer vacation to make this again in larger quantities for the frequent hunger pangs that strike kids 🙂
Wholewheat Orange Choco chip Muffins – easy breakfast or snack option
Prep time : 10 mins, bake time : 18 mins (varies from oven to oven) ; makes : 6-7 medium sized muffins
- Wholewheat flour – 1.25 cups (1 cup = 200 ml)
- organic powdered jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1/3 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Neutral oil – 1/3 cup
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Orange Juice – 1/4 cup
- Orange essence – few drops ( I didnt use)
- Orange zest – 1/2 tsp (dont skip)
- Choco chips – about 3 tbsp
- Sieve flour with Baking powder and baking soda.
- Dissolve the jaggery in the yoghurt, beat well, add the oil, juice, essence if using, zest and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Add the sieved flour in batches slowly to the liquid mixture. Mix slowly till there are no dry streaks.
- Slowly fold in half of the choco chips without melting them.
- spoon batter into prepared muffin liners and top with remaining choco chips
- Bake for 18-20 mins or till a skewer / tooth pick comes out clean.
- Retain them in the moulds for further 4-5 mins. Then serve warm or at room temperature.