Sweet Potato Patties is a quick party snack that kids and elders would love. Sweet potato (a wonderful, healthy tuber) combined with green peas (rich in Vitamin C), this crusty crunch snack is full of goodness and health. You may make and freeze the patty in advance (which I did) and shallow fry minutes before serving. I saw this recipe in a health magazine and slightly modified it with added fibre (peas). You may also add grated veggies like carrots, cabbage, spinach to make it healthier.
Sending this to Priya’s Tuesday Bookmarked entries as well as Day 2 of Blogging Marathon under Kids Delight Theme.
Preparation time : 20 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins. Makes : 6 – 8 patties
· Sweet Potato – 2 nos (large)
· Peas (frozen / fresh) – ½ cup
· Garam Masala – 1 tsp
· Dhaniya powder – 1 tsp
· Jeera powder – 1 tsp
· Amchur / Dry Mango powder – ½ tsp
· Chopped coriander – 1 tbsp
· Green chilli – ginger paste – 1 tsp (opt)
· Turmeric – ½ tsp
· Salt – to taste
· Oil – to shallow fry (approx 1.5 tbsp per piece)
· Maida / APF – 1 tsp
· Cornflour – 2 tbsp (divided use)
· Roasted Suji / Semolina – 4 tbsp
1) Steam the sweet potato and peas separately with minimal water (preferably in a colander).
2) Drain the water. Skin the sweet potato and lightly mash up both the veggies
3) Add the masala powders, green chilli-ginger paste, turmeric, salt , coriander and mix well. Add ½ tsp of cornflour if you need to thicken the mixture a bit.
4) Divide this mixture into equal portions and make into round patties (or thick long patties like in this dish). Cover with cling film / foil & refrigerate for 10 mins.
5) Meanwhile, dissolve maida and corn flour (with a pinch of salt if reqd) in very little water to make a thickish paste.
6) Take out the patties from the refrigerator. Dip them in the slurry above and a bowl of roasted Suji / semolina (You may use bread crumbs too, but I discovered that roasted Suji works very well).
7) Shallow fry the patties in a fry pan with very little oil. Roast on all sides evenly till you get a fine brown crust.
8) Serve hot with ketchup / sauce
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me
Seven Days of Microwave Meals:Monika,
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid’s Special:Kalyani