And we wrap up the Cooking Carnival with this amazinggggggg steamed Chocolate Cake !
Yes, its steamed, and we loved the soft texture. Added to the fact that its completely chocolatey and made with wholewheat flour, this was one winner of a dish 🙂 I had seen couple of versions here and here, but was hesitant to try it.
Dare I say it was way softer and yummier than the oven baked Chocolate cakes I have ever made ! No butter, no eggs, yet …. stunning !! (yes, I am running out of adjectives).
Do you really need a reason to eat cake ??
Even not being a chocolate person, I think this was a fitting finale to the steamed food series that ran this week on this blog, and a sweet end to the Cooking Carnival.
In case you have missed any of the steamed Dishes, here’s a quick recap.
|Sweet Aval Pidi Kozhukattai|
|Fresh Rajma Sundal|
So, get the ingredients with these pantry basics, and bake this 🙂 Non-oven bakers can also enjoy this rather delectable treat.
Wholewheat Steamed Chocolate Cake
1 cup = 150 ml
- 1.25 cups atta
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 TBSP of dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 inch cinnamon – powdered fine
- 3/4 cup yoghurt
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Topping – ( this is totally optional)
Melted chocochips – 1/2 cup , mixed with vanilla essence and 2 tsp hot water to a pouring consistency.
(OR) use chocolate syrup
- Sieve dry ingredients well ; mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients till no dry streaks are seen.
- Pour in lightly greased moulds ( you can use normal steel bowls – but I used ramekins)
- Cover tightly with Aluminium foil and prick small holes on top to let out the steam
- Keep a steamer ready with boiling water.
- Steam the ramekins or the cake moulds for 22/24 mins or till fork comes clean (Steaming time might vary, but keep an eye after 22nd minute, overcooking makes them rubbery)
- Makes three 4 oz + three 2oz cake
- Let the cakes cool down slightly. Un mould them carefully, drizzle warm chocolate ganache / choco syrup and devour them immediately 🙂