Focaccia is a hot favourite currently at my place – Onion Tomato version, Sundried Tomato version and now this – with Onion and Olives. Makes for a wonderful accompaniment to Penne Pasta Arabbiata Style.
The entire meal was homemade, including the Arabbiata Sauce too which made it extra special. After yesterday’s start to the combo theme under BM Buffet with Mexican Sizzler, today is Whole wheat Cheesy Penne Pasta with Arabbiata Sauce and Onion-Olive Focaccia topped with sea salt.
Lets get to this deliciously quick combo. If you have the bread done, pasta prep to dinner table it would take you a max of 45 mins. So makes for a super yummy weekend dinner too. I used whole wheat penne pasta, but you could use other varieties too.
Prep time : 15 mins , standing time + baking time : 3 hours | Serves : 3
For Onion Olive Focaccia:
- Whole wheat bread flour – 2.5 cups
- Instant yeast - 1 ¼ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 4 tsp (divided use)
- Sugar – 1 TBSP
- Warm water – ¾ cup (or as needed)
- Italian Mixed herbs - 1 TBSP
- Crushed black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Toppings : Black olives (pitted and sliced thin), Red onion – 1 large (sliced thin)
- Sea salt – ½ tsp (or kosher salt)
How to make:
- Proof yeast with warm water and sugar. Once done, add half the oil and salt and whisk well, now add flour in batches. Mix and knead till you get a smooth and elastic dough - about 12-15 mins.
- Place covered in a greased bowl till it doubles. Once it doubles, punch it down gently. Knead for few mins, and pinch out a sizeable portion of the dough (or the whole dough if you want a bigger bread) and roll into a rectangle or a square (I used my silpat baking mat so rolled it like a rectangle).
- Cover and let it rise.
- Towards the end of the second rise, chop the onions and olives. Mix these with the remaining oil , Italian mixed herbs, and make a marinade for topping.
- Make small dimples on the rolled out bread, add few drops of olive oil into each dimple and place this onion - olive mixture + sprinkle crushed black pepper & press them gently onto the bread.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 25-30 mins till golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Serve warm with any soup or pasta