My family’s love for savoury bakes, especially garlic flavoured is known on this blog already with this Roasted garlic focaccia and garlic cheese bombs (both for #Breadbakers) while others include dominos style garlic bread sticks and Coriander-garlic pull apart rolls. While checking my bookmarks on what to make for the whole grains holiday breads event that I am Hosting for this month, I chanced upon Samantha’s monkey bread. She had made it with APF (more importantly with readymade buttermilk biscuits) which I converted to wholewheat using stone ground flour and also made the dough from scratch.
The other major changes was to make it vegan and use a little more hydration as the wholewheat flour tends to drink a little more liquid. The idea of a 3-dimensional pull apart bread appealed a lot to the kids and it was fun tearing it apart and dunking them into a hot bowl of soup; the kids especially the elder one who’s the garlic lover in the family loved it a lot.
Unfortunately the husband had to sit out on this as, although he loves garlic breads, we discovered he’s allergic to yeast. So till I make this yeast-free next time, sit back and enjoy this 3D-pull apart bread (aka.monkey bread) that’s sure to bring in cheer to your holiday baking .
I would be hosting this edition of #breadbakers with “Wholegrain Holiday Breads” as a theme. Thank you for the hosting opportunity, Stacy. It sure was some fun doing this. And dear #Breadbaker friends, I look forward to enjoying all your bakes.
And here’s wishing all of you a wonderful baking / holiday season, a happy new year in advance too :))
Let’s get to the recipe now. – Wholewheat Garlic Monkey Bread – a VEGAN holiday (actually, anytime) bread 🙂
Prep time – 20 mins ; standing time (per rise) – 60 mins minimum ; bake time – 20 mins
Loosely Adapted from : here
You would need :
Here 1 cup =200ml
Wholewheat flour – 3 cups
Vital wheat Gluten – 2.5 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1 tsp
Garlic powder – 1 tbsp
Warm water – 1.25 cups + 3 tbsp (varies according to the quality of the flour)
Quick rise instant Yeast – 7gm (1 sachet)
Powdered sugar – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 3 tbsp
PIN FOR LATER
For the garlic oil dip (pre-bake seasoning)
olive oil – 3 tbsp
Garlic pods – minced fine or peeled & crushed – 4 large
Pizza seasoning / oregano -1 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp (if pizza seasoning contains a lot of salt, skip this)
Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp (or to taste)
Black pepper powder -1/4 tsp
Parsley / Chopped coriander leaves – 1/2 TBSP (I used the latter)
- If using active dry yeast, proof the yeast. Else follow the next steps :
- In a large flat bowl or in the stand mixer, add all the ingredients for the dough. Mix well with a wooden spatula. Cover for 8-9 mins and then start kneading for 12-13 mins or till you get a smooth soft dough.
- Cover with wet kitchen towel for about 60 mins or till it doubles.
- Meanwhile for the garlic dip, heat oil and add the crushed / minced garlic. Switch off after 30 seconds. Take off the flame, add rest of the ingredients and let the flavours seep well.
- Once the dough has risen, punch once and make small balls and smoothen/ roll them without any cracks. Dip these mini dough balls into the garlic oil mixture and stack them
- Up in a greased bundt Pan or a deep baking dish. Cover and let them rise slightly for 45 mins. Before placing them into the oven, brush them lightly with any remaining garlic oil.
- Towards the end of this second rise, preheat oven to 180c / 350f and place the baking dish. Bake this golden brown and slightly crispy on top. Tent the baking dish midway if they are browning too quickly.
- Cool slightly and demould the whole bread. Serve these warm with soup or any casserole. It’s sheer fun to pull apart the tiny garlicky buns and savour them 😉
Let’s take a look at this month’s edition of Wholegrain Holiday Breads !
- 100% Wholewheat Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Gingerbread and Oatmeal Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Kamut Cloverleaf Rolls from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Key-Shaped Challah with Finger Millet from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Khameeri Puri from Sneha’s Recipe
- Oats Whole Wheat Bread from The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen
- Santa Lucia Buns from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slovak Pasca from Ambrosia
- Spelt Banana Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Swedish Limpa from Palatable Pastime
- Whole Wheat Grissini from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Whole Wheat Stollen from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Wholewheat Garlic Flavoured Monkey Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.