My family’s love for savoury bakes, especially garlic flavoured is known on this blog already with this Roasted garlic focaccia and garlic cheese bombs (both for #Breadbakers) while others include dominos style garlic bread sticks and Coriander-garlic pull apart rolls. While checking my bookmarks on what to make for the whole grains holiday breads event that I am Hosting for this month, I chanced upon Samantha’s monkey bread. She had made it with APF (more importantly with readymade buttermilk biscuits) which I converted to wholewheat using stone ground flour and also made the dough from scratch.
The other major changes was to make it vegan and use a little more hydration as the wholewheat flour tends to drink a little more liquid. The idea of a 3-dimensional pull apart bread appealed a lot to the kids and it was fun tearing it apart and dunking them into a hot bowl of soup; the kids especially the elder one who’s the garlic lover in the family loved it a lot.
Unfortunately the husband had to sit out on this as, although he loves garlic breads, we discovered he’s allergic to yeast. So till I make this yeast-free next time, sit back and enjoy this 3D-pull apart bread (aka.monkey bread) that’s sure to bring in cheer to your holiday baking .
I would be hosting this edition of #breadbakers with “Wholegrain Holiday Breads” as a theme. Thank you for the hosting opportunity, Stacy. It sure was some fun doing this. And dear #Breadbaker friends, I look forward to enjoying all your bakes.
And here’s wishing all of you a wonderful baking / holiday season, a happy new year in advance too :))
Let’s get to the recipe now. – Wholewheat Garlic Monkey Bread – a VEGAN holiday (actually, anytime) bread 🙂
Prep time – 20 mins ; standing time (per rise) – 60 mins minimum ; bake time – 20 mins
Loosely Adapted from : here
You would need :
Here 1 cup =200ml
Wholewheat flour – 3 cups
Vital wheat Gluten – 2.5 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1 tsp
Garlic powder – 1 tbsp
Warm water – 1.25 cups + 3 tbsp (varies according to the quality of the flour)
Quick rise instant Yeast – 7gm (1 sachet)
Powdered sugar – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 3 tbsp
PIN FOR LATER
For the garlic oil dip (pre-bake seasoning)
olive oil – 3 tbsp
Garlic pods – minced fine or peeled & crushed – 4 large
Pizza seasoning / oregano -1 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp (if pizza seasoning contains a lot of salt, skip this)
Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp (or to taste)
Black pepper powder -1/4 tsp
Parsley / Chopped coriander leaves – 1/2 TBSP (I used the latter)
- If using active dry yeast, proof the yeast. Else follow the next steps :
- In a large flat bowl or in the stand mixer, add all the ingredients for the dough. Mix well with a wooden spatula. Cover for 8-9 mins and then start kneading for 12-13 mins or till you get a smooth soft dough.
- Cover with wet kitchen towel for about 60 mins or till it doubles.
- Meanwhile for the garlic dip, heat oil and add the crushed / minced garlic. Switch off after 30 seconds. Take off the flame, add rest of the ingredients and let the flavours seep well.
- Once the dough has risen, punch once and make small balls and smoothen/ roll them without any cracks. Dip these mini dough balls into the garlic oil mixture and stack them
- Up in a greased bundt Pan or a deep baking dish. Cover and let them rise slightly for 45 mins. Before placing them into the oven, brush them lightly with any remaining garlic oil.
- Towards the end of this second rise, preheat oven to 180c / 350f and place the baking dish. Bake this golden brown and slightly crispy on top. Tent the baking dish midway if they are browning too quickly.
- Cool slightly and demould the whole bread. Serve these warm with soup or any casserole. It’s sheer fun to pull apart the tiny garlicky buns and savour them 😉
Let’s take a look at this month’s edition of Wholegrain Holiday Breads !
- 100% Wholewheat Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Gingerbread and Oatmeal Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Kamut Cloverleaf Rolls from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Key-Shaped Challah with Finger Millet from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Khameeri Puri from Sneha’s Recipe
- Oats Whole Wheat Bread from The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen
- Santa Lucia Buns from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slovak Pasca from Ambrosia
- Spelt Banana Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Swedish Limpa from Palatable Pastime
- Whole Wheat Grissini from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Whole Wheat Stollen from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Wholewheat Garlic Flavoured Monkey Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to [email protected].
Thanks for hosting Kalyani and for sharing this delicious pull apart bread.
Sounds delicious! Thanks for hosting this month.
That's a delicious looking monkey bread Kalyani. I'm sure it must have tasted amazing.
Thank you for hosting this month's Bread Bakers with this awesome theme.
Delicious looking monkey bread, love all that garlicy taste. Enjoyed the challenging theme. Thank you Kalyani.
Garlic bread was my favourite , Thanks for hosting this lovely event.
This is such a lovely bake, Kalyani. I just love the aroma of Garlic pull apart bread while it's baking. Yours look perfect. Amazing share!
My kids love garlic bread to soak up the pasta dishes, lovely share
Of all the breads I have never tried monkey bread. Love this garlic flavored one. I know of atleast one person who will love it.
Monkey bread looks delicious. Love the garlicky flavour in the bread. Absolutely irresistible.
I've only had sweet monkey bread before. I love the idea of these savory ones for breakfast.
Monkey bread looks aromatic and absolutely delicious. I would love to have it with hot soup in dinner. Lovely share Kalyani.