In the last of the series on Latin American cuisine, we have this decadent and deliciously addictive Brazilian Carrot Cake. Of all the cakes I have made till now this was voted the second best (the 1st place of course goes to the Multigrain Almond Quick Bread) . The soft carrot core giving an absolute contrast to the delicious chocolate ganache . My kids kept asking for more servings and even mom & the husband loved it.
If you are a fan of chocolate (or not), make this and am sure you would love it !
Adapted from here, I made some changes to make it healthy, eggless & wholegrain. A slice of this can be enjoyed by #diabetics too
Hope you enjoyed the series of this cuisine under Latin American Cuisine
Prep time : 15 mins, Baking time : 30-35 mins (varies from oven to oven) ;
Makes : approx 350-400 gms of Cake.
- Wholewheat flour – 225 grams
- Organic Powdered jaggery – 200 grams
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – a large pinch
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 125 ml
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Carrot – 125 grams (peeled and grated)
- Thick yoghurt / hung curd – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 2 TBSP
- Semi Sweet Choco chips – 4 TBSP
- Sugar / jaggery – 2 tsp (I didnt add any)
- In a bowl, Sieve dry ingredients 3- 4 times. Pre heat oven to 170 C / 375 F. Grease and line a 8 *4 baking dish (you may also use a 6 inch cake dish)
- Puree Carrot with oil and yoghurt without adding any water.
- Add this puree to the sieved dry ingredients. Now add the rest of the wet ingredients and slowly fold to get a smooth cake batter (do not beat)
- Add 1-2 TBSP hot water if required to rub off any stubborn dry streaks of flour left.
- Pour batter to lined baking dish, bake for 30-35 mins or till a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean .
- Once out of the oven, cool on wire rack, remove after 15 mins and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, warm the milk slightly. Add this to a bowl of choco chips, wait for 2 mins and lightly mix to a smooth, shiny ganache.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, spoon in the ganache all over. Let it set for 30-45 mins in the fridge. Cut and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- This makes for a delectable , healthy , wholegrain and egg-free dessert.