Scones were on my to-do list for a
long time, but somehow refined flour and sugar and butter put me off. I was
looking around for a healthy recipe, when I chanced upon Harini’s recipe,
which was a winner right from the word “go”.
I made a couple of modifications: altered the flour ratio and also needed a lil more butter and milk and added in a handful of chopped pecans. And voila ! We
had a warm nice scone drizzled with some honey. Apple-cinnamon combo is a treat
for those who love the spice.
does and this is one of the few recipes that mom loved & kept talking about
it a lot. We keep teasing her that having born around the Indian Independence ,
she has a lot of “British” culture left in herJWhatever
your reason, this is one healthy scone that you cant afford to miss.
And if you
have a sweet tooth, it’s a pleasing after-dinner snack too . Stays on the
countertop for upto a day, and you can freeze- microwave for the next few days.
Baking Marathon Day 24 : WelshPecan Apple Cinnamon Wholewheat scones
Recipe type : Quick snack /
Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time : 18-20
- Whole wheat bread flour – 1.25
- All purpose flour – ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 TBSP (adjust to taste)
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1.5 tsp
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
- Cold butter – 3 TBSP
- Apple – 1/2 large (peeled and
- Pecans – about 8 (chopped) – this is optional
- Yoghurt – ½ cup
- Milk – 4 TBSP
- Cinnamon powder, honey – to glaze
- Sift the flours, cinnamon powder,
salt, baking powder, sugar powder. Now added cubed cold butter (I grated cold
butter as that’s easy to mix it in). Rub
the butter in till it resemebles bread crumbs. Mix in the chopped apple and chopped pecans . Whisk
milk-yoghurt and leave for 2-3 mins. When the apples sweat a bit, add the
milk-yoghurt mixture and make a firm dough.
- Oil your fingers a bit and pat
this dough directly onto a baking sheet. Cut into wedges (adjust size acc to preferences
– Mine made 8 largish sectors). Brush a little milk and some cinnamon powder and
bake in a preheat oven for 18-20 mins,at 180 Deg C.
- Broil for 2 mins if you need a
coloured top (I skipped this coz it naturally browned while baking)
- Cool for 4-5 mins and serve warm with honey