Vendakkai thayir pachadi – or okra raita is a nutritious and filling side to sambhar or rasam that can be made in a jiffy. The protein used here is curd or yoghurt which is rich in probiotics and aids in digestion.
Use fresh curd for this recipe. You can whip this up even at the last minute when you need to add a dish to the dinner table for unexpected guests. My elder one loves bhindi / okra in most forms so obviously she polished it off. We had this once with Keerai sambhar(Greens gravy) and the next time with chinna vengaya kara kuzhambu (shallots in tangy gravy) and loved both combos.
Similar Raita / Curd based Pachadis:
Doddapatre Tambli(Raita with Karpuravalli / Mexican Mint a.k.a Indian Borage)
Vellarikai Inji Pachadi (Cucumber Ginger Raita)
So for all okra lovers out there, make this quick dish n surprise your guests.
Okra Raita – Vendakkai Thayir Pachadi
Prep time: 10 mins, cook time : 10 mins, serves : 4
Protein Source : Curd (yoghurt)
Gluten Free Side dish , Cuisine : South Indian, can be veganised
Course : Accompaniments
- Okra – 100 gms (tender) – trimmed and chopped into slightly thin roundels.
- Thick yoghurt – 100 gms – whisked well (use vegan curd like rice milk curd or soy curd for a vegan version)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Jeera / cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Crushed or julienned ginger – 1 tsp
- Green chilly – 1 no
- Red chilly broken – 1 or 2
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard and cumin seeds. Add the ginger and chillies and sauté for a minute. Now add the chopped okra and fry well. Don’t add any salt or water but keep sautéing on low – medium flame, uncovered for 8-10 mins till the okra shrivels and turns slightly crispy. Add 1/2 tsp additional oil if required in between. The Okra must remain crispy till the yoghurt is added.
- Turn the heat off
- Add the chopped coriander and mix well. Let the veggies cool a bit.
- Now whisk the curd well. Add the sautéed okra from the pan and mix well.
- Add salt just before serving, mix well and serve immediately