Well, this Kosambari (aka Kosumalli in Tamil or Koshimbir in Marathi) is a constant feature in my kitchen
for festival thali recipes or otherwise. We make it often with Carrot / Radish (daikon) and even this Cucumber version.
Easy to make and digest, this salad is sure to soothe your stomach and fill it too (especially if you were on a salad – only diet). I prefer to make this the traditional way with a touch of coconut and a high pinch of asafoetida (which you may omit if you are Gluten Free ). Make it, eat it and relish it – it is sure to stay your favourite.
This goes to my Aadi Velli Festival Thaali as an accompaniment.
Prep time : 10 min, Cook : 1 min (optional tempering but recommended). Serves : 3
You would need:
- Cucumber – 1 medium ( I prefer English Cucumbers / Long green ones)
- Grated coconut – 3 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tempering: 1 tsp oil, mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, a nice lil pinch of asafoetida, 2 green chillies,
- Chopped green coriander and curry leaves – 1/2 tsp each
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp (opt.)
- Peel and finely chop the cucumbers, add coconut and mix well.
- splutter tempering ingredients in a tsp of oil, once mustard stops spluttering, add to cucumber.
- Mix well. Add chopped coriander and curry leaves (I prefer sauteeing these in the tempering itself).
- Adjust salt and add lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.
- (If making ahead, refrigerate and add salt and lemon juice just before serving).