Dosas are welcome anytime at my house, and the simpler the better. Although we do indulge in a Masala dosa once in a while, we do stick to simple Dosa(lentil crepes) most of the time.. and what can get simpler than a Ulundhu Dosa. This is traditionally made only with Urad Dal (split black gram) , but I have added a little rice to make it crisper.For this dosa, you can use whole Urad dal (with skin on) or dehusked Urad Dal (white variety – without skin on). If using the one with black skin on, grind it right with the skin on. The colour of the dosas may be darker, but will definitely be healthier..Serve it with any chutney.
This goes to Blogging Marathon, MLLA # 43, hosted by Chez Cayenne, event by Susan, Cooking Challenge – Tamilnadu by Vidhya, Vardhini’s New U and Radhika’s Lets cook Rice.
Do Check out the fellow Marathoners here.
Prep time, including grinding : 30 mins. Soak time : 12 hours. Makes : Approx 20 dosas
- Par Boiled Rice ( Raw rice can be used too) – 2 cups
- Urad dal (husked or dehusked black gram) – 1 cup + 1 handful extra
- Methi / fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Poha – a handful (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying the dosa
1) Soak the rice and dal separately. Soak the poha and methi along with the Ural dal.
2) Grind to a smooth paste along with the poha and methi seeds. Add salt and ferment for over 10 – 12 hours (preferably overnight)
3) After fermentation, nicely mix up the batter. Take a ladleful of batter and spread it in a circle on a medium-hot tava (skillet). Drizzle oil around the dosa, and cook on both sides till crisp.
4) Serve immediately with sambhar or chutney. The dosa here is served withMixed peel chutney
Never tried or had urad dal dosa, looks marvellous..
Love Dosas of all kinds..looks so inviting!
Dosas look wonderful and crispy.
Dosa looks soft and yummy…
Dosas are welcome at my home too. Lovely presentation. Thanks for linking it to the event.
these look pristine. like your recipe, and lovely pictures
Dosas are always welcome!
Dosa's look yummy Kalyani and love it with tomato chutney. Thx for linking to the event.
Event: New "U" – Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods – Cauliflower
dosas look yummy and a new recipe to me ……
looks yum…incidentally even I made dosas yesterday…but I am too hesitant to post them…u guys r so perfect!!
Love dosa but I don't make it as often as I should. Beautiful pictures !
Yes,,my mom makes it with black urad dhal with skin,its called as alagarkoil dosai..look delicious and tempting clicks dear…
i wish I could have that now…looks so tempting!
Looks absolutely delicious…
My, look at that! It looks so thin and delicate!
Never knew dosas can be made only with urad dal.
How are you? Here after a long time and love this great recipe. havent made dosa for long and will try your recipe soon.
have a nice weekend
Looks too good Kalyani and i am going to try this!
Dosas are welcome any day, any time 🙂
Your dosas are beautiful! Thanks for sending your recipe to My Legume Love Affair.
Everyone loves dosas at my place, just any kind of dosa! Lovely clicks! Thanks for linking it to my event
nice clippings of the photo. i love this dosa.
I can have dosa at any time of the day ..