Yes, its not Winter here, yet. But for the cold rainy weather here, this soup is perfect. I have to give it to my mom for introducing soup to both my kids – simple, non fussy, healthy and filling everyday kind of soups. This is one of those soups that we all savour, almost like a broth and seasoned with Indian spices.
You can add almost any vegetable to this, but this is a combo that works for both kids. So make a large pot of this broth and sip on wintery / cold evenings. Its also a great cure for sore throats or fever when you can’t eat other heavy foods, including rice.
So, presenting, Tomato Veg Clear Soup – Vegan & gluten Free too !!
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 10 mins ; Serves : 3
What you need: (1 cup = 150 ml)
- Mixed veggies – cut into batons – 1 cup ( I used a mix of cauliflower, beans , fresh peas & carrots)
- Homemade Tomato Puree – 1/2 cup ** See Notes for more details
- Cooked Toor dal / pigeon peas – 3 TBSP
- Hot water – 2 cups
- Crushed Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Rasam Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Jeera / Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
To make homemade 1 cup thick Tomato Puree, blanch 4 large tomatoes and peel the skin, remove the seeds , cool a bit and puree without adding any water. Keep aside.
- Boil the vegetables in a large pan with a dash of salt. Cook till 90% done. (Alternately, you can also pressure cook for 1 whistle, which is mostly what I do).
- In a large saucepan / soup pot, add the tomato puree, cooked dal, 2 cups of hot water, all other spices including salt and jaggery, mix well and bring to a simmer (about 4-5 mins).
- Now add the cooked veggies. Adjust spice and serve immediately as is or with croutons on the side.