One can’t really go wrong with Potato right ? Wrong. I was flummoxed a few months ago when kiddo stopped eating this vegetable altogether – apart from French Fries (obviously), she didn’t like potato in any form : Cutlet, Tikki or Soup etc. She complained of a strange smell of cooked potato, and I was at wits end trying to figure out a substitute, which came in the form of Sweet Potato that I used for Chaat/ Croquettes/ Baked Samosa / stir fry etc. She quite liked the taste (and smell) of the new vegetable , and left went on sans Potatoes for the little one, till about a week ago, the H and me happened to have this Tilwale Aloo for lunch.
She gingerly tried it, and a thousand smiles returned to her face as she quite liked it ! I did a small jig as my prayers has been answered (we moms are sooo scheming, aren’t we ?) . But she wanted Aloo (or potato) curry in this form only – nothing else would do, and I was one eager mom trying to please her no end.
So, here it goes : a simple flavoursome potato stir fry that would tickle your palates as well as is light on your tummy while being a kid pleaser too (adults needn’t be pestered to eat Potato, right ? :))
Sending this toBM # 18 under “Dry Sautes” – Day 3. The last two days saw me dishing out Mixed Veg Stir fries and Carrot-Moong Dal Stir fry. Stay tuned for new dishes under a different theme next week on BM # 18.
Also linking this to: my event –Kitchen Chronicles : Only Vegan hosted by Vardhini and Indrani’sSpotlight : Curries / Gravies
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 15 mins
Serves – 3
Difficulty level – Easy
Serving Suggestions : Rasam Rice or Curd rice or even as filling for sandwiches / wraps n rolls with chapattis
- Potato – 5 to 6 medium nos
- Oil – 1 to 1.5 tsp
- Besan / Gram flour – 1 TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 TBSP
- Tamarind Pulp – ½ TBSP
- Red Chilli powder – ½ TBSP
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – a generous pinch
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Kasuri Methi – ½ TBSP – crushed lightly
1) Wash, scrub and dice potatoes to medium sized bits. I like to keep the skin on as it has many nutrients. Store in slightly warm salted water for 3 -4 mins till you finish chopping the potatoes.
2) Mix Besan, red chilli powder, turmeric & hing in a small bowl.
3) Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds & curry leaves. Add the chopped and drained potatoes to the oil. Add salt, sprinkle some water and cook covered for 8 – 10 mins till done, but not mushy.
4) Now, add the dry spice mixture (besan + chilli powder + turmeric + hing) and give it a nice toss so the masala spreads to all the veggies
5) Now tip in the tamarind paste and toss for 2 – 3 more mins and leave the pan on medium flame till a slight crust begins to form beneath the potatoes.
6) To finish, switch off the flame and just before serving, add the roasted sesame seeds. Toss it once last time. Finish with Kasuri Methi.
7) Serve with Dal – Rice or Roti
Wow,very innovative, loved the idea of adding til.
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Looks very flavourful…
Potato stir fry does look yummy!
I love the flavour of sesame..
Awesome Stir fry…..
I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts… till 15th July.Do send me your entries
very innovative and colorful. u r right mothers have to keep doing so kids eat the food
Fantastic potato stir fry, actually i wanted to try this kind of sesame and potato combo in stir fry, now wont hesitate to make some after seeing urs.
I just love potatoes..Nice variation….
Aromatic dish… Yum !!!
Yummy my fav aloo….Love it in any variation
Simple and inviting curry.
Event: Kid's Delight
Event: Only Vegan
Perfect combination with roties love that beautiful wight thill seeds on top of each piece
That's really very nice..I have never added til to aloo..good one..I can understand how tough it must be when kids stop eating something they always do..
wow… nice addition of sesame for crunch
Hi, submitted some of my entries to your event. you have a fab blog.
visit me at Meg's Delicious Adventures
what a yummy looking potato dish
what a appetizing photo