Tava Pulav is one of Mumbai’s famous street food. For under Rs.100 ($2), you get a fabulous meal (of course, the oil and grease notwithstanding!!). Today, I have made this Tava Pulav in a quick-to-make version, which hardly takes 10 mins if you have the cooked rice on hand and the veggies chopped. Now, that’s quick right ? The choice of vegetables is totally upto you. I usually add most of the seasonal veggies,taking care not to add tomatoes or any other water-based vegetables, lest it turns soggy.
Let’s get to the recipe then… Check out the fellow marathoners here
Sending this to :
- Blogging Marathon #13
- My own event – Valentine Fest : Served with Love
- Kokila’s Lets cook – Pulao event
- Healthy Eating event – HITS – by Sangee
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins. Serves : 2
- Long grained rice – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 TBSP
- Onions – chopped – 1/2 cup
- Mixed Veggies – 1 cup ( I used cauliflower / beans / carrots / spring onions)
- Salt – to taste
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dhaniya powder (Coriander powder) – 1/2 TBSP
- Pav bhaji Masala – 2 TBSP
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 TBSP (optional – i did not add this for kiddo’s lunchbox)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice & Coriander leaves – to garnish
1) Soak and cook rice till done. Fluff up the grains in a large plate and cool slightly.
2) In a large skillet (or tava), heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds.
3) Fry onions till they slightly brown.
4) Add the chopped veggies and saute.
5) When they cook 3/4 (about 5 mins – you can also slightly sprinkle water and cook them), add salt, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, turrmeric, dhaniya powder , amchur and saute quickly. Take care that the veggies dont turn mushy
6) Now add the cooked rice and toss them twice or thrice till the rice mixes with the veggies
7) Turn off the stove. Finish with Lemon juice and coriander
8) Serve with baked chips or raitha. Even simple curd (yoghurt) works wonderfully well 🙂
u got it perfectly well…i make it similarly too…yumm isnt it
Awesome recipe dear. Bookmarked
Made them for yesterday's lunch and the follow the same way too. Well done.
cool i make same way except for lemon on top
we all can make varieties of pulao na
i made tomato soup pulao today. just put the recipe you can check out when u get time
and mumbai street food is always awesome
yummy pulao my all time favourite 🙂
Heard a lot about this pulao, shud try this out soon..
Kalyani..this needs a blob of butter!!…and..wow..my mouths watering..have u ever had this tawa pulao at Santa Cruz..there is a stall ..this guy starts after midnight and is on till 5 a.m!!
perfect for lunch box
colorful presentation…love it!!!
very nice! vibrant colors too!
Easy and tasty pulao.
Event: Sweet Luv
Looks fab!..nice to know abt the rates in mumbai..:)
O wow, I swear I thought you went to VT and click the pic of the Tawa Pulao they serve there. It looks good!
looks delicious! yummy one this one! 🙂
Delicious and yummy !!
Ongoing event CC-Dish For Loved Ones
very delicious n inviting pulao…nicely done!!
thanks for this wonderful entry..
Yummy tawa pulao.
My First Event – "COLOURFUL HOLI".
yummy and Awesome….
visit @my blog for my first event in ur free time 🙂
Ongoing Event–Color n Sweet-HOLI FEST
Preeti's Kitchen Life
I have heard of tawa pulao never tried it. Lazy bones I guess. Will surely try this.
This looks so good.
Award waiting @
Looks very colorful!
Tava Pulav is a great dish…i really like it.. Nice recipe and lovely click.. Thanks for sharing
Yummy pulao and my favorite too
Made this a while ago and this is the best tava pulao I've ever tasted. Thank you for sharing this recipe Kalyani!