Tava Pulav is one of Mumbai’s famous street food. For under Rs.100 ($2), you get a fabulous meal (of course, the oil and grease notwithstanding!!). Today, I have made this Tava Pulav in a quick-to-make version, which hardly takes 10 mins if you have the cooked rice on hand and the veggies chopped. Now, that’s quick right ? The choice of vegetables is totally upto you. I usually add most of the seasonal veggies,taking care not to add tomatoes or any other water-based vegetables, lest it turns soggy.
Let’s get to the recipe then… Check out the fellow marathoners here
Sending this to :
- Blogging Marathon #13
- My own event – Valentine Fest : Served with Love
- Kokila’s Lets cook – Pulao event
- Healthy Eating event – HITS – by Sangee
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins. Serves : 2
- Long grained rice – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 TBSP
- Onions – chopped – 1/2 cup
- Mixed Veggies – 1 cup ( I used cauliflower / beans / carrots / spring onions)
- Salt – to taste
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dhaniya powder (Coriander powder) – 1/2 TBSP
- Pav bhaji Masala – 2 TBSP
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 TBSP (optional – i did not add this for kiddo’s lunchbox)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice & Coriander leaves – to garnish
1) Soak and cook rice till done. Fluff up the grains in a large plate and cool slightly.
2) In a large skillet (or tava), heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds.
3) Fry onions till they slightly brown.
4) Add the chopped veggies and saute.
5) When they cook 3/4 (about 5 mins – you can also slightly sprinkle water and cook them), add salt, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, turrmeric, dhaniya powder , amchur and saute quickly. Take care that the veggies dont turn mushy
6) Now add the cooked rice and toss them twice or thrice till the rice mixes with the veggies
7) Turn off the stove. Finish with Lemon juice and coriander
8) Serve with baked chips or raitha. Even simple curd (yoghurt) works wonderfully well 🙂