Today’s post – Day 7 for Blogging Marathon is a super simple Ghee Rice, that goes amazingly well with Corn Almond Kurma or Veg Cashew kurma. I served it with the latter for S’s lunchbox and the combo-meal is really a breeze to make if you have the kurma ingredients already ready. For rushed mornings, I usually chop & blanch the vegetables for kurma the previous night and refrigerate them. Its then a matter of putting together the kurma and the ghee rice on separate burners and a delicious lunch combo is ready. Now off to the recipe. This goes to Blogging Marathon under “Lunchbox Specials” as well as to Cooking Challenge – Tamilnadu by Vidhya. Hope you enjoyed Week 1 under Lunchbox Specials. If you have missed any post, do find a quick snap shot here :
Day 1 – Kadhi Pakodi
Day 2 – Carrot Corn Burger
Day 3 – Rava Vangibhath
Day 4 – Urad Dal Vada
Day 5 – Peas Pulav
Day 6 – Pudina Thepla
Prep time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
- Long grained rice – 1 cup
- Onions – 1 large
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ghee / clarified butter – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
- Elaichi / Cardamon – 1 or 2 (whole)
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2 (slit lengthwise)
- Salt – to taste
- Hot water – 2 cups (+ little extra)
1) Wash and soak the rice for 10 mins.Drain and reserve
2) Meanwhile in a cooker or deep bottomed pan, melt ghee on medium flame.
3) Add the elaichi, cinnamon and chillies. Fry well. Add the onions and cumin and fry again.
4) Once the onions turn translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry again. Add salt to taste.
5) Add the washed and drained rice and fry for 2 mins till you get a nice aroma.
6) Check for salt and adjust seasonings.
7) Now add the hot water and cook till rice is done. Voila ! Fragrant ghee rice is ready.
8) Serve with Kurma and raithafor a healthy filling meal.