Kicking off the Blogging Marathon with a complete foodies (and kids delight) – Pani Puri. Although I have made this chaat (street food) so many times, there was no compelling reason to click any snaps (or rather any time to do so ;))… this time around, it was a complete photo shoot with props / etc, although kiddo kept glaring at me keeping her away from her favourite snack 🙂 Agree its tedious to put together all ingredients together, but with some prior preparations, there is no real reason why this cannot be made frequently.
Pani Puri preparation and presentations vary according to spice and personal preferences. There is a legendary stall (and I find it a bit snobbish too) in Mumbai called Elco Pani Puri which professes to maek Pani Puri ka Pani with bisleri water. I mean, if street food is to be street food, the messier the better 🙂 Agreed, its to garner all those snobs too who crinkle their noses at having ‘ordinary pani puris’ but this guy @ Elco (in shoppers delight area, Bandra) plays host to such eccentricities 🙂 He even has a jumbo take away option of 100 pani puris for parties / get togethers.. For all such afficionados, the vendors definitely need to keep up, isnt it? Its another matter that I simply love the Ragda patties there – that review coming up soon !!
I have kept the spice factor a bit low to ensure we don’t holler after gulping down this yummy snack. Also, have made it more healthy using boiled moong sprouts instead of the boiled channa to give it that much more punch. Let’s get to the recipe now 🙂
Prep time : 20 mins. Cook time : 10 mins
Serves : 3
- Golgappa / Pani Puri – 20 nos
- Meetha Chutney – 1/2 cup
- Green Chutney – 1/2 cup
- Boiled & grated potato – 1 cup
- Salted and boiled Moong sprouts – 1 cup
- Chaat Masala – to taste
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chopped onions – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Jeera Powder – 2 TBSP
1) Boil, peel and grate potato (or mash lightly till free of lumps)
2) Blanch / par boil moong sprouts with a pinch of turmeric & salt till cooked but firm.
3) Mix a few ice cubes into each of the chutneys separately
(B) To Assemble:
1) Gently tap the top of each golgappa, add the mashed potato, jeera powder, sprouts. Top with the chutneys, red chilli powder & onions if using
2) Dunk them in the chutneys once more and dont wait any longer to gulp them 🙂 🙂