Today, we move to a Main course from Rajasthan adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Video. Panchkuti Dal Khichdi and Dahi wale Aloo . To most familiar with Khichdi, its a great comfort food, and this combo was well received by the husband, who’s a fan of all Khichdis.
Its also proteinicious with many lentils going into this, and a side dish gravy which is also protein rich – a great option for those living alone or in hostel / dorms (which allow cooking) or even those lazy Sunday brunch or a weekday / weekend brunch or dinner alternative.
Whatever your reason, do make this one pot meal once and savour it. Am sure you would love it 🙂 As always, don’t skimp on Ghee for your khichdi.
I have made the entire meal satvik (onion and garlic free), but you may add garlic if you wish.
More Khichdi and One Pot Meal options:
Veg Au Gratin (Low fat version)
Prep time :10 mins, Cooking time : 15 mins (slightly more if you are not using Pressure cooker) ; Serves : 2
Protein sources : Mixed lentils
You would Need:
- Raw rice (I used short grained, you may also use Basmati) – 1 cup
- Mixed lentils – Masoor, Toor, Moong, Split green (with the skin), Channa – all 3 TBSP each
- ghee – 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- whole spice – Cloves, cardamom, bay leaf – 1 or 2 each
- Salt – to taste
- Whole peppercorn – 10 to 12
- Cumin /jeera seeds – 1/2 TBSP
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp (skip for GF version)
- slit green chillies – 2 nos
How to make
- Wash and Soak the rice and lentils separately for 10 mins.
- Heat the ghee (1 tsp) in a pan, saute the spices, add the turmeric, cumin and hing / asafoetida.
- Now add the washed and drained dal and rice and saute for 2 mins.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and salt, and cook covered till soft.
- Saute the green chillies in the remaining ghee and add to the Khichdi.
- Cook for 2-3 mins more and serve hot with Papads , Cucumber Pickleand Dahi Wale Aloo 🙂
Dahi Wale Aloo: a GF side dish to serve with the Khichdi – Goes well with Parathas too.
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 10 mins, Serves : 2
Protein sources : Besan (Gramflour) and Yoghurt
What you need:
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 nos
- yoghurt – 1/4 cup
- Besan / Gram flour – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Broken red chillies – 2 nos.
- In a pan, add oil, splutter cumin seeds, add potatoes, and red chillies. Saute for 2 mins. Whisk the curd well and add the gram flour.
- Add this mixture to the sautéed potatoes. Let it cook on low- medium heat for 4-5 mins till oil leaves the top. Now add salt.
- Serve hot with Panchkuti Khichdi, Mango pickle and roasted papad