When I shortlisted dishes for Alphabet N, i had Nei Choru (Ghee Rice), Nel Pori Urundai (beaten rice jaggery ladoos), etc. Somehow I kept coming back to Nellikai (aka Amla / Indian Gooseberry) as a comfort food.
Gooseberry is one of the superfoods recommended by Ayurveda and its is said that eating just one gooseberry a day for as long as one lives increases immunity manifold. Thankfully where I live, I have access to fresh gooseberry almost 10 months of the year.
More benefits of this super berry is found here. Right from healthy hair to glowing skin to cleansing the body to regulating sugar to protecting the heart, there isnt any part of the body that Amla or the Indian Gooseberry doesnt heal. So today’s dish is such a quick dish that you can eat with steamed rice or curd rice or even dip with Idli / Dosa / Pongal.
I had made nelli Pachadi (yoghurt based dip) , Quick Amla Pickle, Sugarfree Amla Mocktailearlier, and this is another dish with Amla. Hope you make it too, and enjoy it… Fresh Amla works best, although it tastes good with frozen version too ; the dried version would not work here.
Nellikai Chutney – a vegan dip & GF dish with Indian Gooseberry
Spice level : medium – high
Prep + cook time : 10 mins , serves : 4
- Fresh Amla / nellikai / Indian Gooseberry – big sized 4 nos
- Fresh or frozen coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – a handful (opt.)
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Dry Red chillies – 2 nos
- Jaggery – 1 tsp (grated)
- Oil – 2 tsp (divided)
- Tempering : Mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves
- Wash, wipe dry and grate Amla into thick shreds. In a pan, add 1 tsp oil, add methi seeds, red chillies and saute for 1/2 min on low flame till chillies fry well.
- Turn off the heat and add the grated amla and coconut. Add coriander leaves if using and saute well. Cool and grind with salt and jaggery and warm water to a smooth consistency
- Check for salt and spices.
- Prepare tempering with oil. mustard seeds, urad dal , curry leaves and pour onto the chutney.
- Serve with Idli / Dosa / Pongal or even with Steamed rice.
- Keeps upto 2-3 days under refrigeration.