Idli chilli or chilly idly is a popular street food found across restaurants and handcarts in and around Tamilnadu. The dish is so popular that I have seen restaurant menus in delhi and the north featuring this dish. There’s another dish called idli 65 (which again is based on chicken 65, that’s similar to idli chilly 🙂 that recipe for another day !
A twist of the usual idli takes it to another level . One may fry the cut day-old idlis (or cold idlis) to make this, but I have used my baked idli recipe to lower the calories. Either way it’s a winner and do let me know how you liked it
Similar dishes –
Low cal Veg Manchurian (no deep-fry)
Veg Manchurian (with gravy)
More Indo Chinese Dishes:
Prep time -10 Mins ; cook time – 8 Mins ; Serves -2
- Baked idly– 2 portions (mini Idlis work even better)
- Minced ginger n garlic -1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 1 (or to taste)
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Soya sauce, tomato sauce, chilli sauce -all to taste
- Salt – if required only
- Bell pepper / capsicum + onions- both cut into squares – 1/2 cup together.
- Chopped spring onion – for garnish
- In a wok, heat oil till smoking hot. Add onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté till onions turn pink, now add peppers, sauces and sauté till sauce covers all the veggies.
- Now add fried ORbaked idli pieces and sauté wel for 2-3 Mins.
- Top with chopped spring onion and serve immediately.