As we conclude our Soup series week here at Cooking Carnival, today’s is a rich, creamy soup that’s more of a light brunch rather than an appetiser. Team it with some Roasted Garlic focaccia as we did and you have an awesome brunch / supper.
My kids definitely enjoyed these soupy treats, as did I 🙂 Hope you did too, In case you missed some of the soups this week, here’s a quick recap
Veg Clear soup
Today’s richness comes from the fresh cream, almond meal and the juicy Carrots. We were lucky to have a bunch of Organic baby Carrots come our way from a friend, so made this as soon as we saw them 🙂
I wish I had clicked a pic of those baby carrots – my little one was so excited to see the carrots along with fresh green stalk on top, she was hopping like one happy bunny 🙂
So, if you have access to fresh carrots (the orange, not the red variety), do make these, although frozen should work as well. Lets get to make these 🙂
Gluten Free Cream of Carrot-Almond Soup | Can be made vegan too 🙂
Prep time : 15 mins ; Cook time : 10 mins ; Serves : 4
- Fresh Carrots – 150 gms
- Onion – 1 large
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Veg Stock – 2 cups (unsalted) or use plain water
- Cheese powder – 1 tsp
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Almond meal – 4 TBSP
- Fresh Cream – 3 TBSP- skip for vegan version
- Peel the skin lightly , dice the carrots. In a pressure cooker, cook the carrots with the onion and garlic till soft. ( you could skip the onion / garlic entirely and it wouldn’t make too much of a difference)
- Cool and puree.
- In a sauce pan, add the puree, veg stock (or water), almond meal, salt , a dash of pepper powder and whisk well. Simmer on a low flame for 7-8 till it considerably thickens. Switch off the flame
- Stir in the cheese powder, fresh cream and mix lightly.
- Serve hot with a dash of cream and crushed black pepper on the top 🙂