The weather has been quite erratic in the past few weeks : typical of a not so long winter giving way to warmer climes, the city has been quite under the weather (quite literally) with a thick cloud of smog enveloping us till late morning. Once the routine visits to the local doc are done, its astonishing how a simple herbal tea can invigorate one from a bout of cough and cold.
Kashayam (aka Kadha / black tea) without tea leaves is one of the most sought after cures – Kashayam comes in many forms for different ailments : digestive, chest, respiratory, general well being etc and the ingredients vary quite a bit depending on the purpose. Stay tuned for 3 different varieties of teas this week at Blogging Marathon.
Today, we see a herbal concoction with Chukku (dried ginger) and a few herbs to make a Kashaayam (aka kadha in Hindi) to soothe the throat during and after a bad bout of cough and cold. Its quite potent and spicy so make sure to limit its quantity, especially when serving smaller kids.
Prep time : 10 mins, preparation time : 10 mins, Serves : 2-3
You would need:
- Chukku (Dried Ginger) – about 2 inch long piece
- Black pepper – 10 to 15 (crushed fine)
- Karuppati vellam (palm jaggery) – 4 TBSP
- Cumin and Coriander seeds – 1 tsp each crushed fine
- Tulsi (holy Basil) leaves – 1 bunch (I omitted this)
- Water –3 cups
- Crush the chukku, black pepper, cumin and coriander. Dissolve this spice mix along with jaggery and bring to a rolling boil for 6-7 mins till its reduced to 1.5 cups. If using Tulsi, add while last 3 mins of boiling.
- Strain and drink immediately for relief from cough and cold.
- If serving to kids, dilute 3 tsp of kashayam with 2 tsp of water, add a dash of honey and administer it warm.