Yes I know it was to be a loaf cake, but turned out to be an absolutely smashing Chocolate cake (almost vegan) & topped with the goodness of fresh mangoes, Pumpkin Puree, Almond Meal and many more family favourites. Made this for my husband’s birthday, this was a sellout. The poor lighting in the pictures meant the kids couldn’t wait any longer after the candle was brought out.
Yes, should have given it more standing time with the ganache, But with two impatient angels wanting to cut the cake with their dad, it really didn’t matter !
So, I mean to update this post with better pictures, but till then it goes to #Breadbakers where Kylee of Kylee Cooks is hosting a pumpkin themed breadathon this month : so apt for the Fall I guess 🙂 Thanks Kylee, this was indeed a pleasure baking this.
And as I had homemade Pumpkin puree, this cake was a breeze.
And finally, why the title “Almost Vegan”, coz only the ganache was with chocolate chips & a dash of cream & Butter (which are dairy products), else the rest was completely vegan ! So, make the ganache with non dairy chips and you have a whole vegan dish to boot !
I have used a combo of Wholewheat flour + finger millet flour. If you are following this recipe, the cake base isn’t the same as it would be with All purpose flour, however it was very very moist as you would see in the pictures below . The liquid proportions may also vary if using different flours.
Prep time : 20 mins , Bake time : 40 mins ; frosting + standing time : 40 mins .
Makes one 6 inch cake , here 1 cup = 200 ml
- Wholewheat flour – 3/4 cup
- Finger Millet flour – 1/2 cup
- Almond Meal – 2 TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Toasted Walnuts – 2 TBSP (optional)
- Homemade Fresh Pumpkin Puree – 1/2 cup
- Fresh Mango Puree – 1/4 cup
- Wet Brown sugar OR Muscovado – 1/2 cup
- Neutral Oil – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp
- Butter – 1 TBSP
- Choco chips – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Cream – 3 TBSP
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Toasted walnuts – 1 tsp
- Fresh mango slivers – 1 TBSP
Make the cake:
- Mix all dry ingredients well with a whisk except walnuts. Fold the walnuts in a tsp of this flour and keep aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients together. Add in the flour mix slowly in batches and gently fold till there are no dry streaks. Add in the walnuts now and fold once more.
- Now pour this batter in a lined 6 inch pan and bake for 30-35 mins in a preheated oven at 180 C / 375 F till a toothpick comes out clean (Note : as I didnt find the 6 inch pan on time, had to bake in a 7 inch, therefore the height of the cake was unfortunately compromised)
- Refrigerate the cake in a cling wrap once cooled to room temperature.
To prepare the ganache :
- Melt butter and cream till just hot. Turn off the fire and add in this mixture to the chocochips. Do not stir immediately. Give a standing time of 2 mins and stir in. Add in a tsp of hot water if you want to thin it out (I skipped adding any water).
- You could entirely skip the butter & cream and increase the choco chips to make the ganache only with it by zapping it in the microwave in bursts till it melts.
- Add vanilla essence and mix once.
- Pour the ganache over the cake.
- Once its semi set, add the walnuts and mango pieces as topping.
- Chill for an hour and serve.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
- Almost Vegan Chocolate and Pumpkin Loaf Cake by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Brown Butter & Pumpkin Seed Scones by Food Above Gold
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Quick Bread by Food Lust People Love
- Cinnamon Spice Pumpkin Bread with Walnuts and a Trio of Frostings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Golden Pumpkin Banana Bread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Hearty Whole Wheat Bread with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Italian Pumpkin Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Lal Bhoplyachya Gharge by Sneha’s Recipe
- Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling by Cook’s Hideout
- Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Bread by Plated Cravings
- Pumpkin and Ginger Quick Bread by Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl by A Baker’s House
- Pumpkin Chocolate Babka by House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Cornbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Pepita Muffin Tops by A Salad For All Seasons
- Pumpkin Pie Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls by Kylee Cooks
- Pumpkin Raisin Scones by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Ricotta Pull Apart Buns by Food Smart Mom
- Pumpkin Sour Cherry Sourdough Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Pumpkin Spice Ale Soft Pretzels by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Spice Raisin Bread with Kinako by What Smells So Good?
- Pumpkin Spice Swirl Quickbread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Pumpkin Spiced Whole Wheat Loaf by Herbivore Cucina
- Pumpkin Cardamom Bunsby Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Two Tone Pumpkin Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sandwich Loaf by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Yeasted Pumpkin Bread by Veena’s Vegnation
Lots of chocolatey goodness right there.
Now that is perfect for a celebration!
That is such a moist and delicious looking cake Kalyani. Looks awesome.
Lovely cake, Kalyani. Love the combination of pumpkin and mango.
It would be cruel to make those kids wait for the ganache to set! Looks delicious.
Oh I really like the idea of combining the flavors of pumpkin and mango! Sounds brilliant!
Wow! The bake looks so moist… Did you know that there is vegan ganache, which is water and chocolate chips? 🙂 I haven't tried it, but will hopefully try it soon…
Looks so fudgey! Love the addition of the mangoes.
Wow that cake is so beautiful!! Loved the mirror glaze 🙂
the ganache looks so fresh and glacey…i am yet to try my hands on pumpkin puree based bakes…the cake looks very moist as well. bookmarked