Soups are sought after by my elder one. She loves a variety of soups, although Toor dal- Carrot Soup is her favourite. I generally make it on weekends when she can enjoy this. Today's soup is a quick to make & calcium rich Palak Almond Soup that I made for her post school-its not only filling but very healthy too. Hope you enjoy this colourful hearty soup during winters, when Spinach is available in abundance. You can use fresh or frozen, regular or baby spinach. As I have access to fresh spinach through the year, we make this regularly. Addition of broccoli is optional, but I added this to have a bite. LLinking this to Archana’s Soups and Salads Kids Delight event , created by Srivalli.
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Serves : 2
Palak Almond soup with Broccoli.
Cuisine : Indian, Course : Appetiser | Spice Level : Medium
Can be made vegan if desired
Serving Suggestions : Garlic bread, toasted bread, soup sticks
- Spinach - fresh (regular) - 1/2 cup (packed)
- Almond meal - 1/4 cup*
- Shallots / baby onions - 4 to 6
- Garlic pods - 1 large
- Broccoli - 5-8 mini florets (about 1/4 cup)
- Butter / oil - 1 TBSP
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Milk - 3/4 cup
- cream - to garnish - 1 tsp (optional)
*In place of almond meal,simply blanch, dry and powder coarsely a handful of almonds. I soaked them for 30 mins, and pureed them along with the skin on.
- In a pan, add half the butter / oil. saute the garlic and onions for 4-5 mins till they soften a bit. Remove. In the same oil, saute spinach for 1-2 mins without any water till it wilts a bit. Remove and cool. Add the remaining oil and saute the washed and drained broccoli for 3-4 mins till slightly sauteed but still crunchy.
- Return this puree to the pan, let it simmer along with the broccoli. Add milk , salt and pepper as desired.
- Check for spice and salt. Once creamy, transfer to a serving bowl. finish with cream and top with pepper if required.
- Serve with croutons / soup sticks as desired