Suma's MLLA, event by Susan, Healing foods – Coconuts @ Saffronstreaks, event by Siri & also Priya’s Fruit / Veggie of the month- Coconut
Woo hoo ! I am almost writing an ode to this humble yet sublime rasam - something like a heirloom recipe.Without any more prose, lets get quickly to the recipe.
Prep time : 15 mins. Cook time : 12-15 mins. Serves : 6 adults
- Moong dal (split green gram) - 1/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - a dash
- Oil - 1 tsp
Spice Masala paste:
- Coconut - 1/4 cup
- Jeera / Cumin - 1 TBSP
- Coriander seeds / Dhaniya - 1/2 TBSP
- Channa Dal / Bengal gram - 1 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Raw rice - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper / Molagu - 6-9 corns
1) Wash and soak moong dal in warm water for 10 mins.
2) Meanwhile, in a skillet, add 1/2 TBSP of oil and fry all the masala ingredients (except coconut) one by one till the dals turn golden brown along with the coriander. Cool and grind along with coconut to a smooth paste.
3) Pressure cook the moong dal along with turmeric and salt for 3 whistles. Slowly release the pressure and mash the dal thoroughly adding requisite water (and consistency)
4) In a deep bottomed pan, add the mashed dal, ground masala paste and let it come to a rolling boil (covered) for 8 - 12 mins.
5) Once the rasam is ready, transfer to a serving bowl. Prepare tempering with ghee, mustard seeds, asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves. Pour onto the rasam and enjoy supreme bliss ;-)