This goes to Vardhini's event of cooking with Garlic started by PJ and also Shilpa's event - Life is green
Prep time : 10 - 15 mins. Cooking time : 10 mins. Serves : 2
- Tendli / Kovakkai / Thondekaayi - 200 gms (select those that are green, fresh & firm)
- Garlic - 2 pods (large) - you may omit this if you prefer
- Tempering : 1 tsp oil + mustard seeds + urad dal + 1 green chilly chopped fine
- Grated coconut - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - a dash
- Amchur / Dry mango powder - 1/2 tsp (opt.)
- Jaggery grated - 1/2 tsp
1) Wash, trim the ends and cut the veggies lengthwise into 1 inch long batons
2) In a skillet, heat oil and add tempering ingredients. When mustard stops spluttring and urad dal starts turning light brown, add the finely chopped garlic and stir well.
3) Now add the chopped veggies, turmeric, salt.
4) Sprinkle adequate water and cover cooked for 8 - 12 mins, stirring occassionally.
5) When done, add grated coconut, jaggery and amchur. Stir well.
6) Serve with dal and rotis. A yummy and quick to easy recipe !