Wiki tells me : Hash browns or hashed browns are a simple preparation in which potato pieces are pan-fried after being shredded, julienned, diced, or riced. In some cultures, hash browns or hashed browns can refer to any of these preparations, while in others it may refer to one specific preparation.
Hash browns are a staple breakfast food at diners in North America, where they are often fried on a large common cooktop or grill.In some parts of the United States, hash browns strictly refer to shredded or riced pan-fried potatoes and are considered a breakfast food (they are part of McDonald’s breakfast combos), while potatoes diced or cubed and pan-fried are also a side dish called country fried potatoes or home fries (though many variations of home fries are par-cooked before frying). Some recipes add diced or chopped onions
And we went one step further, made them filled with veggies and we loved it.. Do make these and am sure you would love them 🙂 This was probably one of the few recipes I loved making instantly as soon as we read them . Adapted from here..
Prep time : 15 min, Cook time : 15 mins
You would need:
- Medium potatoes – 2 (grated fine)
- SPinach leaves – 1/2 cup (diced fine)
- Grated carrots – 1/4 cup
- Grated broccoli – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cornflour – 2 TBSP (opt.)
- Oil – to shallow fry (less than 2 TBSP)
- Mix all veggies. Add salt and mix well. Stand for 4-5 mins, and squeeze out all water.
- Add red chilli powder and cornstarch. Check for salt and spice and adjust accordingly.
- Take a portion and flatten out like patties / Tikkis.
- Freeze for 5 mins (this step is totally optional but it firms up the patties)
- Shallow fry with very little oil till golden brown on both sides
- Serve as is or with any sauce.