I wasn’t a great fan of Radish (aka Mullangi in both Kannada and Tamil) growing up. However, mom who was cooking diabetic dishes for dad made it a point to include radish in many forms during the weekly cooking plan. I have begun to love the sharp acidic pungency that radish brings in its raw form and even the husband loves it, so we have Radish-Moongdal Kosambari (Radish – green gram salad), Zero Coconut Mooli Chutney, Radish Stir fry with moong dal (Mullangi Poriyal) & Jowari Roti with Radish not to forget Mooli Paratha & Mullangi Sambhar( both my kids’ fav) regularly in our menu too. Raw radish slivers with a dollop of butter is a most preferred side to Makki da Roti meal during winters.
Today’s dish is another yummy raitha (or thayir pachadi (tamil) or mosarubajji (kannada)) made with radish. We get a great quality of radish during the winter thats amazing to be used in so many different varieties apart from as a salad ingredient.
Radish’s pungency and anti flatulency is also one of the reasons its used as an anti inflammatory food. This raitha goes well with most pulav / Biryani and we prefer it with methi or Palak Theplas. Similar raitas can be made with Cucumber / Lauki (bottlegourd) or even grated carrots.
Prep time : 15 mins | Tempering : 2 mins | Serves : 3-4 | Course : Side dish ; cuisine : Indian
Mooli Raita – Radish in tempered yoghurt sauce
Spice level : Low /Medium.
- Radish / Mooli – 1 large or 2 medium
- Curd / Yoghurt – 1 large cup
- Salt – to taste
- Tempering : Oil (1/2 tsp), mustard seeds (1/4 tsp), cumin seeds (1/2 tsp), asaeofetida (a pinch),
- green chilles / dry red chillies – 1 or 2 (opt.)
- Wash, peel and grate radish into fine threads.
- Add a pinch of salt and leave for 10 mins, after this squeeze out the water (this step is optional, but if you like the pungency as we do, skip).
- Whip curd into a lump free mass. Add salt and grated radish. Mix well.
- Prepare tempering : Splutter cumin & mustard seeds, add asafoetida and green chillies, once the mustard stops spluttering, take it off the fire and add to the yoghurt – radish mixture.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
- (If serving later, add salt just before serving)