Maavinakaayi Chitranna(Raw Mango Rice) is the ultimate comfort food in Karnataka Cuisine, esp on Ugadi and other festival days. Of course, Chitranna (flavoured rice) is also easy to make if you have the masala on hand. Summers provide ample opportunities to make this frequently, and we sure don’t miss out on the opportunity. This recipe comes from my mom who makes this dish awesome.
Preparation time : 20 mins. Cooking time : 30 mins. Serves : 2
· Long grained rice – 1 cup
· Grated raw mango – ½ cup
· Salt – 1 tbsp
· Jaggery – 2 tbsp grated
· Oil – 5 tbsp
Masala / Spice paste:
· Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
· Turmeric – 1 tsp
· Green Chillies – 2 nos
· Red chillies – 3
· Grated coconut – ¼ cup
· Mustard Seeds, Channa Dal, Urad Dal – 1 tsp each
· Oil – 4 tbsp
· Curry leaves & Coriander leaves – few
· Cashewnuts – 1 tbsp (opt)
1) Soak the rice for 20 mins. Drain and cook till all the grains separate. Fluff the rice with 3 tbsp oil and ½ tsp turmeric. Cool in a large plate.
2) Grind all the masala ingredients along with grated coconut (Reserve 2 tbsp of grated mango) into a thick paste. Add very little water to this paste.
3) In a skillet, make the tempering. Add the masala paste and fry till the masala leaves the side of the pan.
4) Pour the above tempering + masala on the rice and mix well gently. Take care not to break the rice grains.
5) Add the salt, jaggery, coriander leaves and mix well again
6) Serve as it is or with curd / Raitha.
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me Curry in a hurry under 30 min:Priya Suresh, Srivalli, Usha Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid’s Special: Vardhini, Seven Days of Indian Sweets: Harini, Suma, Veena Seven Days of Regional Specials: Aarthi, Kalyani, Pavani, Shylaja Summer Coolers: PJ, VaishaliUnder 15 mins Quick Breakfast: Sushma Pinjala,