As we enter our penultimate day in the Indian States series for BM Buffet, we savour the flavour of Delhi. Primarily a City- State, the capital of India is known for its versatile food available both as street food in the form of Parathas, Tikkis, Kebabs and also well known dishes like Dal Makhani and Kadi Chawal and Rajma Chawal (which by the way I am told is a staple on Sunday Lunch). I had so many ideas for Delhi as a cuisine for this BM, but for now this worked best :-))
Paired with papad and some fresh salad, this is a very comforting to both the husband and me and makes for a weekday dinner too. You can serve this with Jeera rice too, but for a weekday dinner we prefer it with plain steamed rice.
Prep time : 10 mins | Cook time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
- Yoghurt / Dahi / Curd – 1 cup (slightly sour will work)
- Besan / gramflour / Kadalai maavu – 2 TBSP
- Salt – to taste
- Tempering : Green chillies, cumin seeds 1/2 tsp, ginger – 1/2 inch, Oil – 2 tsp, Hing (asafoetida) – a largish pinch
- Beat yoghurt with some water till smooth. Add the besan 1 tsp at time to get a lump free batter. Keep aside for 2 mins.
- Now in a deep bottomed pan / kadhai, add oil. Temper with the ingredients, once they stop spluttering, add the gramflour – yoghurt mixture , salt and cook on a low flame for 4-5 mins till the raw smell disappears.
- Serve with hot rice, some pickle, papad or some salad.