After Yesterday’s 2 -min Chocochip Mug Cake, here’s another twist to the all-time favourite Gajar Halwa. Made with Jaggery + Palm sugar instead of refined sugar. It tasted slightly different, but it was worth the twist.
I had earlier made a low cal Gajar-Lauki Halwa (Carrot- bottlegourd Halwa) & I used the same proportion of veggies to further reduce the fat and carrot (sucrose) for diabetics. Whether you are diabetic or not, this twist with jaggery and more veggies is sure to be a treat.
It may not be decadent looking as the original or sinfully rich with the ghee but it was pleasing and more than tasty to please our tastebuds after a light lunch / dinner. You dont really have to wait for Diwali or any festival to make this treat :))
Gajar Halwa with Jaggery – Diabetic Desserts : a Gluten free Indian Dessert, can be made vegan
Prep time : 15 mins, Cook time : 20 mins , serves : 3-4
- Lauki / Doodhi / bottle gourd – 1/2 medium (about 150 gms)
- Carrots – 2 large (about 250 gms)
- Unsweetened Mawa /Khoya** – 2 TBSP (opt.)
- Gud / Jaggery – 6 TBSP ( I used 4 TBSP Grated jaggery + 2 TBSP powdered palm sugar)
- Milk – 1/4 cup** (or replace with 4 TBSP of skimmed milk powder)
- Saffron – a few strands
- Cardamom – 1 no (powdered fine)
- Almonds / raisins / Cashew for garnish (opt.)
- Ghee – 2 TBSP**
** replace these with vegan alternatives for a vegan dish
- Wash, peel, grate Carrots and Lauki. Add a pinch of saffron and pressure cook with the milk for 4 whistles. Let the pressure come down fully.
- In a pan, heat ghee saute the nuts. Add the cooked veggies and saute for 5-6 min on low flame. Add the grated jaggery, mawa if using, and let it cook till the mawa is melted and ghee leaves the sides. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Top with sauteed nuts if using and serve warm or at room temperature