It’s amazing how Indians have adapted cuisine / food / recipes to the local produce and today’s Cucumber Dosa (#VellarikaiDosa / #SouthekayiDosa) in the A-Z Dosa series is a testament to that fact. Entirely plant based, Vegan and GF this is a delicious addition to the breakfast rotation (or even weekday dinner / evening tiffins).
Best served hot, this dosa is quick and requires no fermentation. You may soak the rice either overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours, and it comes together with everyday pantry stuff.
Do give it a try for a change from the usual Urad Dal Dosa.
So far on the A-Z Dosa series (#26daysofdosa) for September, we have seen:
B – Black Rice Adai (Kāvuni Arisi Dosa)
Prep time : 15 mins + soaking time (2 ~8 hours), Grinding time – 10 mins
Makes – 8 to 10 dosas.
Vegan, GF, Cucumber Dosa served with Chettinad Khara Chutney
- Raw rice (short grain variety) – 200 ml
- Grated Cucumber (with skin on) – 1/2 cup (I used 1 medium sized English Cucumber)
- Grated coconut – 3 TBSP
- Jeera / Cumin – 1/2 T
- Green chillies – 2 ~3 (adjust to taste)
- Coriander and curry leaves – a handful – chopped fine
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to pan fry the dosa (approx 1/4 ~1 /2 tsp each per dosa)
- Wash and soak rice overnight or for 2-4 min. I soaked it overnight.
- Next morning, drain the water, add the remaining ingredients (except oil) and grind to a slightly coarse batter. Leave aside for 1/2 hour.
- Heat a skillet / tava , grease it well. Mix the batter well and pour a ladleful of the batter and spread in circular fashion.
- Drizzle oil around the edges and let it cook till the bottom is slightly crispy and golden brown.
- You may choose to cook both sides or serve as is.