Paneer (Cottage Cheese) is a favourite with the elder kid, and we make Paneer based dishes often at home.. Kulcha (or leavened flatbreads either baked or mostly fried on griddles) are another favourite at home.
I combined the two and made these fluffy, pillow soft and healthy Wholewheat Paneer kulchas at home. Can be paired with most North Indian Gravy dishes, but best known paired with Amritsar Chole / Black Channa / Chickpeas Gravy. We made this for a Sunday Brunch with vegan Tomato Chutney and these mini Kulchas were relished by all. Makes a wholesome meal.
The Kulchas (or flatbreads) can also be made with All purpose or even bread flour. Yeast is also sometimes used to make these, but I prefer a combination of Baking Soda + Baking Powder as leavening agent. If you are vegan, you could sub the yoghurt and milk here with vegan almonds (I am told soya / almond milk and vegan cashew curd make a great substitute). Tofu makes an excellent substitute for paneer too :)
Either way, if you are a fan of savoury grilled Indian breads, look no further. The wait time (for rise n bake) is truly worth it. …
Prep time : 15 mins + rise time (2 - 10 hours / overnight if preferred).
Cook time : 20 mins ; Makes : 7-8 mini Kulchas
Serving suggestions : Dal Tadka / Chole + Onion Salad
Main Course, Indian.
- Wholewheat flour (atta) - 1.5 cups (200 ml = 1 cup)
- Warm milk - 1/4 cup
- Yoghurt - 1/4 cup (or 2 TBSP)
- Warm water - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 TBSP
- Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Ajwain / carrom seeds - a big pinch (1/8 tsp)
- Oil / Butter - 2 tsp
- Panner / Cottage Cheese - 100 gm - crumbled / grated
- Onions - 1 medium - finely minced
- Seasoning : Salt, chilly powder / paprika, Cumin powder, Coriander powder , Coriander leaves, Mint leaves
- Sesame seeds - 1/2 TBSP
- Kalonji / onion seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1/2 TBSP
- Oil / butter - for basting (vegans could use oil)
In a stand mixer or large bowl add all ingredients except oil and make a soft dough (it took 8-9 mins in my stand mixer). Depending on the quality of the flour, you may need more or less 1/3 cup water. Add oil and knead for further 2-3 min on a countertop. Place in a greased bowl for minimum 2 hours (or refrigerate overnight if using the next day).
Next day or after 2-3 hours (if using the same day), punch down the dough. Divide into 6-7 equal portions and make it into round balls. Rest them in the same bowl under a muslin cloth / kitchen towel.
For the stuffing : Mix the crumbled / grated paneer (cottage cheese).. Add the finely minced onion, seasonings and mix well and keep aside.
øn a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough into a 7-8 cm disc, place 1-2 Tbsp of the filling and wrap this up and seal the top (as shown). Gently, roll into a thickish disc (as I was making mini Kulchas, I didn’t roll out very flat discs). gently press in a portion of the topping onto the rolled kulcha.
Apply water on one side of this kulcha, place the wet side down on to a heated griddle. Let it cook on medium heat and bubbles would start appearing on the top. Now gently flip and let it brown on both sides. Quickly take it on a naked flame and let it roast for 5-10 secs (this is optional, but gives a smoky flavour).
Take off flame and let it cool a bit. While still hot, brush a little butter to make it softer. Serve hot with Chole or any accompaniment.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese & Potato Gözleme from Cook’s Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Honeyed Berry Crumpets from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Hungarian Langos from Cooking Club
- Lachha Paratha from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Mardi Gras Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Masala Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha’s Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas (Cottage Cheese stuffed flatbreads) from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Purana Poli from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Satpadi – Spiced Grilled Bread from Spiceroots
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gozleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Vitumbua (Coconut and Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeasted Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online