One of the best part of any party, according to me, are the appetisers. They come in so many different sizes and taste, and if you fill your tummy sensibly with these, you can actually skip the greasy main course. Sensibly being the key term here J
This week I shall be presenting three interesting North Indian Starters that are both healthy, filling and also easy on the tummy.
Do try it out for the forthcoming party season and am sure you would like it. Today’s post for BM#47 under Starters is “Sesame Gold Coin”. Traditionally deep fried, these are pan fried and are rich in protein and can be made ahead for a get together too. Don’t skip the various spice powders, it takes this appetizer to different heights with their aroma and punch
Prep time : 15 mins | Cook time : 15 mins | Makes : Approx 8-10 pieces (medium sized)
Course: Starters, Cuisine: North Indian ; food type : Proteinicious and Vegetarian
Sesame Gold Coin – a protein rich pan fried appetizer
served with Green Chutney and Sauce.
- Boiled Kala Channa – 1 cup
- Boiled Potato – 1 medium
- Salt – to taste
- Groundnut powder – 1 TBSP
- Roasted Sesame seeds – 2 TBSP (divided use)
- Olive oil – to pan fry – about 3 TBSP
- Ginger paste – ½ TBSP
- Black pepper powder – ½ TBSP
- Laung powder (clove powder) – ¼ tsp
- Jaiphal powder (nutmeg powder) – ¼ tsp
- Dry spices : (to taste) : Amchur (dry mango powder), garam masala, red chilli powder, jeera (cumin) powder
- Slightly pulse the boiled and drained channa (chickpeas) without any water..(I generally have a batch of boiled and frozen chickpeas so I blitz it for just 15 seconds without any water).
- Add this paste to a bowl, and except oil and half the sesame seeds, all other ingredients one by one and make a thick dough.
- Divide them into cutlet / tikki thickish roundels, roll them in remaining sesame seeds and deep freeze them with a clingwrap on for 15 mins.
- Shallow fry them in batches on a low-medium flame on a light film of oil.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately. I served them as it is with a fresh tomato and onion salad on the side.