Feels good to be back hosting an event for Priya Mitharwal's Healthy Me, Healthy Us event for June 2013. Thanks Priya for this opportunity. Although am late by a day in announcing this event as my vacation extended quite a bit more than expected, inviting all you health freaks to link up Healthy, Eggless & Vegetarian Entries all this June.
I shall recap the requirements for this event directly from Priya's event announcement . Meanwhile use the Linky Tool provided below to link to this event. If you are a non-blogger, do email me your recipe so I could include it in the round up.
Look forward to all your entries
Lets look at some real good sources of Healthy Food
Ø Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas
Ø Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice protein, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, quinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice
Ø Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini
Ø Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon
Ø Protein in Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts (black)
Ø Iron in Vegetables/Fruits: Sun Dried Tomatoes, Apricots, Parsley, Spinach, Coconut, Olives, Currants & Raisins, Palm Hearts, Lentil Sprouts, Swiss Chard, Asparagus (Raw), Broccoli Raab, Pears , Figs , Apples , Dandelion Greens, Kale etc.
Ø Zinc sources: Breads, grains, cereals, Legumes/Beans, Soy foods, Nuts and Seeds, Corn, Peas and Sea Vegetables etc.
Ø Vitamin B12 sources: Cheese, eggs, whey, milk & yogurt and yeast etc.
Ø Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Hemp Seeds, Walnuts, Flax Seeds, Olive Oil, Avocado and Chia Seeds etc.
Ø Vitamin D: Sunshine (is the best), Orange Juice, Mushrooms etc.
Now, with all this talk, let’s come down to the rules of the event.
- You have to cook a dish out of “unprocessed” and “unenhanced” foods ONLY. If you have made something and have doubts on whether or not it qualifies, let me know. I recommend using more vegetables, fruits and nuts/seeds than grains in your dish.
- Any course of the meal is allowed, even beverages.
- Eggs and Meat/Seafood/Fishes are NOT ALLOWED.
- Using pre-packaged food are NOT ALLOWED.
- Using artificial flavors are NOT ALLOWED.
- Using pre-processed food is NOT ALLOWED.
- Nut & Seed Oils ARE ALLOWED but in moderation.
- Paneer & Tofu are ARE ALLOWED, as they not exactly processed, but cooked to make it the way they are.
- Stone Ground or Mill Ground (Uncontaminated) flours ARE ALLOWED.
- Keep DEEP FRYING to MINIMUM.
- You have to do a small write up on the nutritional benefits of your dish and if possible (recommended) how many servings it gives and what is the calorie per serving (approximate).
- Provide some substitutes for certain ingredients, if you think they are not easily available. Vegan substitutes will be highly appreciates.
- Archived posts will be allowed, if it follows all the above rules