It was soft, moist and a sellout - the neighbour's kids were too happy as was my daughter whose treat for the week - cake + chocolate combo was met with success , and I was thrilled that I got to use my egg substitute with apple cider vinegar for the first time :) I didnt frost the cake, yet the result was a hit !!
Sending this to Day 2 (week 2) of BM # 7 as well as Harini's Only Baked. Check out other Marathoners here
Prep time : 20 mins. Baking time : 35 min. Makes :1 medium sized bundt cake + one 8" round cake.
- APF / Maida - 2 1/4 cups
- Oats (powdered) - 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Veg Oil (canola) - 10 TBSP
- Water - 1 cup (room temp.)
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp (orignal recipe called for almond essence)
- Apple Cider Vinegar - 2 TBSP
- Confectioner's Sugar - 4 tbsp
- Glazed cherries
1) Sift Flour, cocoa powder, salt, soda twice or thrice.
2) Add Oats, sugar, brown sugar and mix again thoroughly.
3) Preheat oven to 175 C.
4) In a large bowl, mix water, oil, vanilla essence, vinegar and whisk till blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix a little at a time and mix to a thickish consistency. Do not overbeat.
5) Grease the pan (I used a bundt pan as well as a 8" round pan) and flour them.
6) Pour the mixture to these pans and bake for 35 - 40 mins, till well done and a toothick comes out clean.
7) Cool on a wire rack. Turn over. Once fully cool, dust confectioner'sugar (or icing sugar) over it and top with glaced cherries for a delectable treat this weekend!!
Tips: You may increase the sugar a bit if you like your desserts a little more sweet. Or totally skip the Oats to accomodate the recommended sugar.